Author Topic: Fearon Family in Liverpool  (Read 173 times)

Offline KathrynEB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fearon Family in Liverpool
« on: Wednesday 22 May 24 15:50 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful of some help - or suggestions of what else I can do - in order to further my research into this family.
John Fearon was born in 1807 in Maryport, Cumberland. He had a family with Ann(e) Molloy (born in Ireland c. 1812) but I have been unable to find a marriage record for them.
I have found records for the following children, who were all born in Liverpool:
Mary Ann b. 22nd August 1844. Unable to find baptism. Mary Ann (my ancestor) went on to marry Patrick McNerney. They had 11 children and she died on 13 February 1901.
John b. 9 May 1846, bap. 24 May 1846, Surname Fearon (birth) Fern (baptism) mother's name looks like Mary in baptismal register. Died 9 Jan 1850. Surname on death cert. given as Fearns.
Jane b. 25 July 1848, died 9 Aug 1848
Ann Jane b. 5 August 1849, bap 26 Aug 1849. Mother's name looks like Dora in the baptismal register; surname shown as Fearn.Went on to marry Michael McCumiskey. They had 10 children and she died on 26th May 1891.
Jacob b. 7 December 1851, bap 14 Dec 1851. Mother's name Mary. Surname shown as Firran. Died aft. 1871. I've found no record of him after the 1871 census.
I have been unable to find any of the family in the 1861 census.
I have found newspaper reports of the following deaths:
John Fearon on 3 May 1856 of 2 Court, Clay Street, Liverpool. I have the death certificate and have found the baptism record. He was the son of John and Hono(u)r Feeran/Fearon.
Honora Fearon of 2 Court, Clay Street, Liverpool died on 14 Jan 1857. Death certificate gives her age as 44 and states she was the wife of John Fearon.
I would like to establish if John and Honora are from "my" Fearon family.  According to his baptism record John was born on 14th July 1854 but I have been unable to find a record of his birth. Finding this would give me Honora's maiden name and enable me to check if it is the same family.
I have tried searching many times for the missing data (shown in bold above), expanding on the dates, widening the location, using wildcards, just first names, etc. etc. but I am not getting anywhere!  Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Fearon Family in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 18:40 BST (UK) »

...According to his baptism record John was born on 14th July 1854 but I have been unable to find a record of his birth. Finding this would give me Honora's maiden name and enable me to check if it is the same family.

Hi Kathryn

A couple of possibilities for the birth of this John:

FARREN, JOHN        MADDEN   (mother's maiden name)
GRO Reference: 1854  S Quarter in LIVERPOOL  Volume 08B  Page 114

FERNON, JOHN        TONER     (mother's maiden name)
GRO Reference: 1854  S Quarter in LIVERPOOL  Volume 08B  Page 146

Can't see anything else that would help further for now.

Have you found a death for Ann Molloy and John Snr?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathrynEB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 May 24 18:44 BST (UK) »
Monica,
Thank you very much for having a look for me and sending these references. I have previously purchased both of those certificates and unfortunately neither is the correct one.
I have not found a death for Ann Molloy - unless she is the same person as the Honora Fearon who died in 1857. John senior died in November 1864.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 May 24 08:08 BST (UK) »
possibly related
John Fearon
Born September 7, 1777 - Maryport, Cumberland, England
Deceased (before 1841)

Spouse Hannah .....could Hannah  be Honora ??

is this possibly his mum and dad ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 24 08:23 BST (UK) »
of course not all trees are correct - looking at this tree - same birth - 1777- but a son b 1814 - Robert Bell Fearon - mother Hannah - possibly Bell was her maiden name ??

https://gw.geneanet.org/wrquayle?n=fearon&oc=&p=john
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline KathrynEB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 24 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying.  John's parents were Jacob Fearon born c. 1785 and Margaret Ross bap. 1790. They married on 10th July 1806 in Crosscanonby, Cumberland. I've found two children: John and Jacob, b. 1808.

The Bell Fearon line seems to be well documented - I've often wished I could find a connection to that one!

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 May 24 08:27 BST (UK) »
put in fearon - all events - search and the years you are researching
- and look for Liverpool entries
good luck

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 May 24 08:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is a clue

Baptism: 29 Oct 1865 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire
Jacob Fearon - [Child] of Isaac Fearon & Margaret
    Born: 11 Mar 1865
    Abode: Birkenhead
MANY MANY families baptised their children in big Liverpool churches although they lived across the river mersey in Birkenhead / Wallasey /Seacombe etc

could the Fearons be across the Mersey ??  and not living in Liverpool ?

Offline KathrynEB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 May 24 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. I've looked up that baptism and done a little research around Isaac Fearon, Margaret (née Robinson) and Jacob. Although Isaac and Margaret were from Cumberland I can't immediately see a connection with my family, but it could be several generations back, of course.
Although I can place my family in Liverpool itself, have searched for them across England in the hope of finding the "missing" records. I appreciate the tips though and will look into your suggestions further to see if I can find out any more.