Author Topic: Stuck on parish register  (Read 202 times)

Offline Fredia67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuck on parish register
« on: Thursday 23 May 24 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi , I am trying to find birth place of Thomas hutchinson who married Anne shepherd on 28th nov 1805 in Easingwold,  I keep coming up with Thomas hutchinson buried 24th Dec 1774 , that can be right if he married in 1805 , now I am thinking I'm searching wrong place thats why I keep coming with burial , can anyone help thank you .

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on parish register
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 24 14:14 BST (UK) »
Do you have the couple in any census records, which may indicate their birthplaces and ages?

Marriage witnesses can provide clues, as well. FreeReg has witnesses Richard Shepherd and William Skaife for the 1805 marriage. Thomas was a bachelor, and Ann a spinster.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 24 14:25 BST (UK) »
This seems a likely burial in 1835:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:661W-G2F5

Would make him 35 at marriage, which would be about 10 years older than Ann.

I believe this is Ann on the 1841 census:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ53-51B

She is a widow, which would fit with the above burial. Looks like she died in 1869:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:661W-G2G8

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 May 24 14:33 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at any of the baptisms of Thomas and Anne's children?

Easingwold was using Dade registers for baptisms at that time, and these give a lot of information about the parents' ancestry. As an example, I found the baptism of a son Thomas in 1810, and it describes his father Thomas as a miller, and son of a Thomas of Ampleforth.

Other children's entries are likely to be more or less the same, but it's worth checking them as they sometimes give details of the wives/mothers too. Have a look at any burials too, since they often have a similar level of detail.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fredia67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 24 17:12 BST (UK) »
I have Thomas of amplethorpe he is father to John hutchinson who would be my great great great grandfather , I know that information as correct its this Thomas of amplethorpe I can't seem to find before 1805 thats when John was born , John marraige just states Thomas of amplethorpe .

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 24 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thomas Hutchinson baptised 7 September 1769 in Amleforth, father Thomas

Thomas Hutchinson married Esther Leach 5 July 1769 in Ampleforth.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 May 24 19:49 BST (UK) »
Please could you clarify what you already know?

In your first post you said you didn't know where Thomas Hutchinson was born:
Hi , I am trying to find birth place of Thomas hutchinson who married Anne shepherd on 28th nov 1805 in Easingwold.....

I found a strong indication that he might be from Ampleforth, yet here you're saying you already know about Ampleforth - although for a John, not a Thomas:
I have Thomas of amplethorpe he is father to John hutchinson who would be my great great great grandfather , I know that information as correct its this Thomas of amplethorpe I can't seem to find before 1805 thats when John was born , John marraige just states Thomas of amplethorpe .

So are you looking for Thomas or John? Or both? And are you really looking more for the father Thomas than the one who married Anne Shepherd?

If so, emeltom might have found the answer. And it's not impossible that the burial you found in 1774 is the same person, but more research would be needed to check this out. There could be several people with these names, as they're not uncommon.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fredia67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 May 24 20:04 BST (UK) »
I was looking for Thomas of amplethorpe but could find no information on him for amplethorpe , I found John born in Easingwold,  I kept coming up with a Thomas deseased and I knew that couldn't be correct because the date was wrong , and I was thinking maybe Thomas wasn't born in amplethorp and that's why I couldn't find him , sorry if it was confusing , thank you so much everyone for your help ,