Author Topic: Kate LORTON- found then lost  (Read 466 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kate LORTON- found then lost
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 May 24 09:33 BST (UK) »
Isn't there only one chief mourner??
No, newspaper reports often mention 'chief mourners.'

Looking at the report of Patrick’s funeral in 1916, he is survived by two sisters and two brothers but only one (Miss Dempsey) is a chief mourner. The other three must have been out of the country.
There were two brothers that I know of- Frederick James (d.1918 New York, unm.) & Francis James (d.aged 11 weeks).
As to two surviving sisters- Sarah Agnes/Sarah/Agnes died 1941 and Annie (who kept house for him) died in 1919. I don't know what happened to Mary after 1892 but Kate is supposed to have died in 1917 which means at least 3 surviving sisters and I suspect there was only one brother still alive.

You can’t trust the newspapers, we know that, they had his name as Patrick James but I’d say the relations attending was likely correct, so Kate wasn’t in Ireland. Odd that a Nun wasn’t mentioned though.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 May 24 09:47 BST (UK) »
There is a Catherine LORTON who died in Wales in 1917 - I am sure you have seen (2 entries with wildly different ages). I am sure she isn't your one. But I wondered if the family had heard she had died. Enquiries were made and they were given that death, and accepted it? - stranger things have happened.

What date was Patrick's will written?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 May 24 09:53 BST (UK) »
A living relative remembers Sarah being a nun and dying in Nazareth House, Derry (and Derry City Cemetery records show her birthplace as Aghadowey and the names of her parents). However, what I don't know is where she lived earlier. A Dempsey cousin was also a nun (in London).

There is a Catherine LORTON who died in Wales in 1917 - I am sure you have seen (2 entries with wildly different ages). I am sure she isn't your one. But I wondered if the family had heard she had died. Enquiries were made and they were given that death, and accepted it? - stranger things have happened.

What date was Patrick's will written?
I have seen the 2 entries in 1917 and wondered about them. Not sure if the mysterious Mr. Lorton would have been alive in 1917 when Kate was supposed to have died.

Have to see if I can find the Colonel's Will. Might still be in a box from our move last year.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 May 24 17:46 BST (UK) »
Well, thanks to Kate and her family I haven't gotten much done today! I searched for Kate's marriage all sorts of places and tried to find her in U.K. in 1901 and 1911.

I'm now wondering if the Colonel's sister in London was Sarah (the nun who is probably Sarah Agnes- in which case she was likely named for her mother and grandmother) but I haven't turned her up in 1901 or 1911 either. At least two cousins were nuns in London (Bermondsey) and sometimes they appear in census with their religious rather than birth name. I did find another nun possibly related living in Lancashire but have made a note of the details to research her further at some point.

This afternoon I found more details of Dempsey cousins as well as some possibly not related but Kate is still a mystery. May have to expand the search further. Meanwhile, thanks for everyone who has helped.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 May 24 19:11 BST (UK) »
What on earth is the Marquis of Aghadowey doing posting in the "Beginners" board?

What hope do the rest of us have?

I posted here for the simple reason that I have no idea where Kate Dempsey might turn up.

Isn't that one of the functions of the "Common Room"? [Just trying to understand]
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 May 24 00:13 BST (UK) »
Don’t know if this is the Catherine Lorton you are looking for - surname also written as Lawton

Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Edward   Lorton   Married 1868   England
Catherine   Lorton   Wife       1869   Ireland
Edward F   Lorton   Son   1900   Massachusetts
Anna E   Lorton   Daughter   1903   Massachusetts
Ellen C   Lorton   Daughter   1903   Massachusetts

Pawtucket Ward 1, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Edward   Lorton   1867
Kateline   Lorton   Wife   1869
Edward F   Lorton   Son   1900
Annie E   Lorton   Daughter   1903
Ellen K   Lorton   Daughter   1903

Edward Lorton
Petition Age   40
Birth Date   15 Mar 1867
Birth Place   London, England
Record Type   Naturalization Petition
Departure Date   18 Mar 1891
Departure Place   Antwerp, Belgium
Arrival Date   18 Mar 1891
Arrival Place   New York
Petition Date   5 Mar 1908
Petition Place   Rhode Island, USA
Ship   Westerntand
Spouse Kathleen born Derry ??ane, Ireland
Petition Number   536
Children named as
Edward Francis Lorton born 6 May 1900 Mass.
Annie Elizabeth & Ellen Kathleen born 26 Dec 1903 Mass.
Rhode Island, U.S., State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1802-1945

Edward Lorton
Birth 15 Mar 1867 London
Claim Date   23 Jul 1940
U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

Edit to add not correct Catherine , gives her parents as James Mcconaghy & Charlotte, dob 18 April 1869

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F84C-CNR
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 May 24 21:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Ladyhawk, for all that work. It was looking so hopeful until her parents names appeared  :-[