Author Topic: 1798 German American Taufschein  (Read 104 times)

Offline mickster99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1798 German American Taufschein
« on: Saturday 25 May 24 16:11 BST (UK) »
I'm coming once again to the true experts for help.

This snippet is from a Taufscheim filled out by German immigrants in America, circa 1798.  I need help with (I think) one word. Here is how I read it:

"Diefe Elisabeth Fehlin.....ist gebohren und getauft in America, im Staat Maryland in Taneytown, aber in Yorek County zur ???? kommen."

I believe this is saying that Elisabeth Fehl was born and baptised in Taneytown, Maryland, but came to York County (Pennsylvania).  But the word between "zur" and "kommen" eludes me.  Thank You in advance for setting me straight on this!

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1798 German American Taufschein
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 May 24 16:36 BST (UK) »
To me, it looks like:

Diese Elisabetha Fehlin ist geboren und getauft in Amerika, im Staat Mar˙land in Taneytown, aber in Yorck County zur Welt kommen

This Elisabetha Fehlin was born and baptized in America, in the state of Maryland in Taneytown, but came into the world in York County.

I think York County is in Pennsylvania. Do you have any background to the family? Does it suggest she was born in York County, Pennsylvania, but baptised in Taneytown, Maryland?

There were German settlers in the area:
https://www.emmitsburg.net/info/tt/history.htm
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline mickster99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1798 German American Taufschein
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 May 24 17:23 BST (UK) »
This Elisabetha Fehlin was born and baptized in America, in the state of Maryland in Taneytown, but came into the world in York County.

I think York County is in Pennsylvania. Do you have any background to the family? Does it suggest she was born in York County, Pennsylvania, but baptised in Taneytown, Maryland?

Thanks for the reply!  I do have quite a bit on the family, but this one threw me for a loop, as nothing before indicated they had ever been in Maryland.  The family's known residences look like this:

1776, 1777, 1778, 1780, 1781: Berks County, Pennsylvania
1781: Chester County, Pennsylvania
1786, 1787, 1788, 1789, 1790, 1793, 1794, 1795, 1798, 1799 (etc.): York County (present day Adams County), Pennsylvania

The years between 1781 and 1786 have been a mystery.  The area they lived in York (Adams) County is roughly 30 miles from Taneytown, Maryland. 

I'm inclined to trust your interpretation, especially as the words "ist geboren und getauft in Amerika, im Staat" were pre-printed on the boilerplate Taufschein template, and the family's handwriting starts again with "Mar˙land in Taneytown, aber in Yorck County zur Welt kommen."  Plus..."aber in Yorck County zur Welt kommen" seems to have been added in a different hand than "Mar˙land in Taneytown," as if someone later wanted to clarify that the template was inflexible and that the birth had not occured in Maryland.  If so, I have a new mystery... why take Elisabeth 30 miles away for baptism?  More fun!