Author Topic: WAA records 1918  (Read 113 times)

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WAA records 1918
« on: Sunday 26 May 24 12:45 BST (UK) »
Am i likely to find records online of the WAA?

Looking for a Myfanwy Davies, aged 25, spinster, 27th(?) WAA corps, 12404, father David, steelworker. She married Bertie Augustus Hall, lance corporal RGA, aged 23, at the register office in Fareham, Southampton, on 5 Nov 1918.

Clip from her marriage certificate attached in this other post. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=882978.0

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • River Shannon to Lough Derg at Killaloe
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WAA records 1918
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 May 24 14:49 BST (UK) »
The other more formal title of the Corps was Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps. In the 1940s, their records were stored in the same depot as the men's records and were similarly damaged by a Second World War bomb, such that less than a third of the records survive.

There is a record for a Myfanwy Davies which has survived but I think it may be the wrong person. This one was born in Llangollen, Denbighshire and had the number 217. She was a clerk and her father was David Davies of Knowle, Bristol. If you think this might possibly be your Myfanwy, you can download her records from the National Archives for free, provided you sign up for an account: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_fn=Myfanwy&_ln=Davies&_pl=&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=WO+398&_col=200&_sf=DRETITLE&_sf=DESCRIPTION&_hb=tna
What's more it seems to be quite a full record running to 51 pages.

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 May 24 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks kiltaglassan
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 May 24 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy, i do have an account so will download the records now, though i don’t think it’ll be the right Myfanwy. Though apart from her marriage her children and death I don’t have anything concrete on her (early) life.

Edited to add: an incredible set of records (shame neither of my own grandfathers records survive as the info is brilliant). Sadly not the Myfanwy i'm looking for though.