Author Topic: Solomon Willis of Caversham  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Solomon Willis of Caversham
« on: Monday 12 September 05 17:24 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if I should be posting this here because Caversham is really in Oxfordshire.  However, there may be records of the Willis family in Reading RO so:-
I am trying to find out who Solomon Willis b 1817 Rotherfield Peppard first married and when she died. Her Christian name was Mary Ann.  In 1871 Solomon  married Fanny Gyngell from St Pancras which is proved by the 1881 census.  However, before that he had 9 children christened in Caversham with wife Mary Ann
Rose 1844 - my link with Wise and Sellwood families
Caroline 1845
George 1848
John 1850
Eliza 1852
David 1854
Ann Marie 1856
Jane 1858-1858
Mary 1859

Thanks
Vicki
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Willis of Caversham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 05 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki,

There is only one marriage for a Solomon Willis in the civil registration indexes for the period 1841-1844:

December Quarter 1843, Henley District, Vol. 16 Page 193

I think this is almost certainly the marriage you're looking for but the only way to find out the maiden name of the spouse would be to order the certificate.

Regards,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 05 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki

You may already have this - but on his second marriage 9th July 1871 in Caversham to Fanny Gyngell where it should have the fathers details it says 'natuarl son of Elizabeth Willis'.

I tried Caersham for the first marriage but its not there - or Rotherfield Peppard or Henley  :-\

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Debbie and Allan,

Looks like another certificate to put on my ever growing wants list.  The second marriage entry making him illegitimate gives another line of enquiry.
Vicki
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 05 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki,
As you know, my family is linked in here somewhere.   Charlotte Sellwood (b. 1802) married James Willis (b. 1795) of Caversham, 27 Oct 1824 in Caversham.   They were my 3 g grandparents.   Could you or any other kind person tell me if there is link between Solomon and James Willis?   A bit of a long shot but you never know.
Cheers Dave  8)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire