Author Topic: Evans ,Walters&Bross@8 Upper Terrace Tylorstown  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Clare Noyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Evans ,Walters&Bross@8 Upper Terrace Tylorstown
« on: Thursday 15 September 05 07:53 BST (UK) »
Does any one have links to this family living at 8 Upper Terrace Tylorstown in 1901.

Alice Hardwidge is my grandmother.

George Lewis Bross   abt 1898    Tylorstown, Glamorgan, Wales   Adopted Son    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan        
    Elizabeth Evans   abt 1847    Breconshire, Wales   Wife    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Fredrick C Evans   abt 1881    Nailsea, Somerset, England   Nephew    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

John Evans   abt 1859    Nailsea, Somerset, England   Head    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Laura Evans   abt 1885    Bristol, Gloucestershire, England   Daughter    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Alice Hardwidge   abt 1879    Nailsea, Somerset, England   Daughter    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Phebe J Hardwidge   abt 1900    Stanley, Glamorgan, Wales   Granddaughter    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan        
    Maggie Walters   abt 1893    Tylorstown, Glamorgan, Wales   Granddaughter    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan        
    Willie Walters   abt 1890    Tylorstown, Glamorgan, Wales   Son    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Charles Watters   abt 1887    Tylorstown, Glamorgan, Wales   Sister    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Thanks
Calre      

Offline welsh_angel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evans ,Walters&Bross@8 Upper Terrace Tylorstown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 06 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Does any one have links to this family living at 8 Upper Terrace Tylorstown in 1901.

Alice Hardwidge is my grandmother.

George Lewis Bross   abt 1898    Tylorstown, Glamorgan, Wales   Adopted Son    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan        
    Elizabeth Evans   abt 1847    Breconshire, Wales   Wife    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Fredrick C Evans   abt 1881    Nailsea, Somerset, England   Nephew    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

John Evans   abt 1859    Nailsea, Somerset, England   Head    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Laura Evans   abt 1885    Bristol, Gloucestershire, England   Daughter    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Alice Hardwidge   abt 1879    Nailsea, Somerset, England   Daughter    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Phebe J Hardwidge   abt 1900    Stanley, Glamorgan, Wales   Granddaughter    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan        
    Maggie Walters   abt 1893    Tylorstown, Glamorgan, Wales   Granddaughter    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan        
    Willie Walters   abt 1890    Tylorstown, Glamorgan, Wales   Son    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Charles Watters   abt 1887    Tylorstown, Glamorgan, Wales   Sister    Ystraddyfodwg    Glamorgan

Thanks
Calre      

Offline bentleybob

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 12 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Whilst searching on the web for my ancestry, I came across your query about the Walters family from Tylorstown. My Grandfather was Charles Walters, son of Elizabeth Walters, and brother to Willie Walters(who by the way was quite a famous comedian in his time I understand) .There where two other brothers that had businesses in Tylorstown one was a baker the other a butcher. Charles, who you probably know was a coal miner at the age of 14, but went on to serve in the army during the first World War, as a Bombardier in the Royal Field Artillery. In a story told to me by my grandmother, apparently a German shell exploded with a direct hit on the field gun and horses, killing all the gun crew and all the horses, with the exception of Charles who was badly injured. After his recovery he re-joined the front line, only to be then gassed, but went on to the age of 67  when he past over. By the way Elizabeth Walters apparently went on to marry again after the death of John Evans, and ended up as a Mrs.Sweet.
Trusting this cleared up a few anomalies,

Offline welsh_angel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 12 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bentlybob

Thank you for your contact. I was aware that Elizabeth Walters remarried after John (my great, great grandfather) died. As you probably know, John's marriage to Elizabeth was his second marriage. John's first wife, Rhoda, died in 1886 in Bristol, at the age of 28. The story passed down through the family is that Rhoda died after giving birth.

Again, I was aware that one of Elizabeth's sons served in World War One. Lily's husband's brother also had brothers who served in WW1. They were Jesse Andrews and Thomas Edward Andrews. Jesse was in the army, and Thomas E. Was in the Marines, and like one of your ancestors, a shell hit a bunker that Thoms was in, and all 8 men were killed. Tom's body (as far as we know). Jesse survived the war.

My late aunt (Lily's granddaughter) told me many years ago that one of Elizabeth's sons was a butcher in the Rhondda, but that's all I know.

If there's anything you would like to know, and if I can answer, just ask, and I'll do my best

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello bentleybob  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Once you have made 3 postings on here you will be able to use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data, such as email addresses, with other Rootschatters.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kindest regards
Morgan

Offline welsh_angel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 12 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, bentlybob

I don't know if you are aware if this information, but this is Elizabeth Walters grandson
 Llewellyn Walters

Service Branch: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Unit: Hawke Bn.
Death Date: 17 May 1918
Cause of Death: Died of wounds in 149th (RN) Field Ambulance (GSW compound fracture both femurs)
Burial: Varennes Military Cemetery (FR 41)
Service History: Army Reserve 6/12/15 ; Entered 29/6/17 ; Draft for BEF 18/10/17, joined Hawke Bn. 13/11/17-7/12/17 Influenza, Invalided to UK 19/12/17 ; Draft for BEF 1/4/18, joined Hawke Bn. 7/4/18-17/5/18 DD.
Service Number: R/4363
Notes: b.27/5/1898 ; Next-of-Kin: Father, David, 26 Brondeg Terrace, Tylorstown, Glamorgan.

My grandfather's brother, Tom, who was also killed in WW1 was also an Able Seaman in the Royal Navy. Tom was in the Nelson battalion, and was killed on 28 December, 1917.

Offline Clare Noyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am back opn this site due to the lock down. Have we been in contact? It's been so long sine I have done any research.

Take Care