Author Topic: Is anyone an expert on Norway?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone an expert on Norway?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 November 05 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, loo,

I've sent an email to St. Edmund's - let's see what happens!

It also occurred to me that an explanation for the registration of two births, that actually took place 18 months apart, on the same day could be that the British Consulate was either understaffed, or didn't take their civil registration duties very seriously, and some lowly clerk was eventually obliged to sit down and spend a day dealing with a large backlog of registrations.

By the way, in case anyone is scrutinizing this thread, the births were 18 months apart, not 2 years as implied in an earlier message, where I was guilty of a typo!

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Lindsell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 November 05 07:28 GMT (UK) »
I don't think we can blame the delay in civil registration on a lowly clerk at the consulate. The father was obviously unaware of the system of registration in Norway at the time. According to routine  the births should have been registered at the church office of the parish where the children were born, no matter whether the children were to be actually baptised in the parish or not. The registration at the consulate was to give confirmation of citizenship for the children before returning to England.  It is not a question of using the National Library but the National Archives to find the Norwegian registration and here there should be no language problem as I use Norwegian in every day life.
Keep in touch and best wishes from Kristiansand in the very south of Norway

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 November 05 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I received an amazingly quick response from St. Edmind's Oslo, as follows:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

"St. Edmund's Church was founded in  1883.

"According to 'A history of St. Edmund's Church, Oslo 1884-1974', there were private worships in English in Norway before that time, but the first Clergy arrived in 1856. I have not checked the archives to see if we have records that far back, but will try to check it.

"The old archives have been removed from the British consulate in Oslo to the crypt of St. Edmund's church

"Sigrid I. Kvaal"

I'm surprised that British Consulate records would have been transferred to St. Edmund's, rather than to the UK, but it promises some easier research than if the records were buried somewhere in the National Archives!!  ;)

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 October 07 04:34 BST (UK) »
Christiania was the old term for Oslo and was used until the 1920s.

Thanks Lindsell,

I'm looking at the threads relating to Norway as my maternal great grandmother was Norwegian. Christiania was mentioned as the birth place of one of her three lodgers on the 1865 Norwegian Census. I've posted an explanation about why I'm now having a look at this ancestor as well as the Census details about her family and lodgers on the Anyone speak Norwegian? thread.   

Christopher

Offline Lindsell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 October 07 10:16 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you could contact me at:
(*)
Derek

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the PM system for exchanging personal data.