Author Topic: James of Newtown  (Read 3067 times)

Offline CRJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James of Newtown
« on: Sunday 18 September 05 15:47 BST (UK) »
~~~~~~~~
hello everyone,

I place this inquiry on the denbigh chat area and was advice to move it to the Mongomeryshire roots chat.

I'm sorry but I am very new to this. I have been researching my father's RAF years for three years and have just come across a newspaper clipping from either end 1943 or early 1944.

one reads as follows;

D.F.C. FOR NEWTOWN AIRMAN

Pilot Officer Rodney Arthur Vincent James, R.A.F., of Penygelli, Newtown, aged 20 years has been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. The award is believed to be the first of its kind to be made to an airman from the district in the present war.

A son of Mr. A.A. James, who is now District Officer, Oswestry, with the Salop War Agricultural Executive Committee, Pilot Officer James has lived for many years with his grandmother at Penygelli. She is well known in the district, and has been one of the Governors of Newtown County School for 26 years. He was born in Denbigh, and his mother died 19 years ago.

Starting his school life under Mr. David Rowlands, at Penygloddia School, Newtown, Pilot Officer James continued his education at Newtown County School. He remained there from 1935 until 1937, and left to complete his school career at Christ College, Brecon, and Diggins Private School, Tunbridge Wells.

On his 18th birthday he volunteered for service with the R.A.F., and after a period of initial training in the country he completed his course in Canada an America. He has been many times over enemy territory on operational flights and on more than one occasion to Berlin.

His brother Dennis, aged 19, who also attended Newtown County School, won a County Exhibition from there. He was awarded 140 pound (I don't have the pound sign on my key board !!)  bursary at the Aberystwyth University College of Wales, where he is now studying.

--------
 I'm quit sure my father's grandmother's name was Mary Jane James. Could someone guide me in the right direction. I live in British Columbia, Canada

Thank-you,
Chris
http://www.10697sqn.com/

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: James of Newtown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 September 05 00:00 BST (UK) »
All records for the Newtown County School and the Penygolddfa School are held at the Powys County Archives Office in Llandrindod Wells  http://archives.powys.gov.uk/

You could try to find a record of Rodney's birth in the Civil Registration Index at the following site http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/  His birth year would be approx 1923/24.  The site is free to search but you will have to pay to view any results.  If you are lucky enough to find him, you will be able to order his birth certificate online with the details.

There is another site http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl which also contains the Index, and free to use,  but the transcription is an ongoing project and not all years have been completed.  I did have a quick look for Rodney's birth but came up with nothing.

Finally, I have a JAMES line  from Montgomeryshire in my family tree, maybe one day we will have a connection.

Please let me know how you get on.

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline CRJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 September 05 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan,

Thank-you for your reply and information. I will follow up on your sdvice.
 Over the last few days, I have been able to track down my father's brother's wife (sfter 25 years)and she sent me a copy of our history which my father's grandmother commisssioned before her death in Newtown.
 What a surprise ! It goes back to 616 AD ! I am having a very hard time following though because all the Welsh names and countys. If we have a connection this might show it.
 If you would like a copy sent to you my E-mail is cmjames at shaw.ca replacing the at of course.

Thanks for your help.
Chris

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 September 05 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Wow!! that must have been one huge surprise :D  Thanks for the kind offer to send me a copy - I would love to see it, even if it turns out there is no connection with my James line.  I'll send you an email later.

By the way, if you need any help with the Welsh names and county's just let me know.  Both my parents families are all from Wales, mainly Montgomeryshire, so I have had plenty of experience with the weird and wonderful names.

Best wishes

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline CRJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 September 05 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thank-you Jan,

I have sent you a copy via e-mail.

Chris