Author Topic: Roots hall, Prittlewell  (Read 2864 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Roots hall, Prittlewell
« on: Friday 23 September 05 20:04 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information regarding Roots hall in prittlewell. My maiden surname was Roots and I have a lot of ancestors in Essex -I have traced back to 1780 so far - but I would love to know if anyone has records of who lived/owned Roots hall. I have pictures of Roots hall from the Essex Records Office but welcome any information in this respect.
Many thanks
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline hughar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Roots hall, Prittlewell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 September 05 11:47 BST (UK) »
1871 George J Jones, Medical general practitioner, with wife, son and daughter, plus groom and domestic servant.

1881 Daniel W Gossett, Inspector of Customs, with wife and daughter, plus cook and housemaid.  You can look this one up for yourself at www.familysearch.org.

The 1890, 1895 and 1899 Kelly's Directory of Essex shows Daniel Wright Gossett, still at Roots Hall, but in the 1891 census the address for the family is just listed as West Street.

No entry for Roots Hall in the 1902 Kelly's Directory.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 05 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you - that's a good start! Do you think anyone with the surname Roots ever lived at Roots Hall? How is the best way for me to check?
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline hughar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 05 21:37 BST (UK) »
There may be something relevant in 'A History of Prittlewell' by William Pollitt, published by Southend Corporation's Museums Service in 1951 as their Museum Handbook No.9.  It's supposed to be a well illustrated 52 pages.  You could try Southend library to see if it is still in print, or see if you can get a copy on Inter-Library Loan via your own local library.  Also I see there is a copy for sale today on www.abebooks.co.uk for £10 - not cheap, but available.

Incidentally George J.Jones and family seem to have been in Roots Hall in the 1861 census also.  The property is not named, but they are shown as the first dwelling in West Street, near its junction with Leigh Road, and I think that is where Roots Hall was.

Alternatively if you have access to the Essex Record Office then see http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/ECCWebsite/dis/gui.jsp?channelOid=13813&guideOid=14793
and the two links at the right hand side of the page.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 October 05 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I will see if I can get a copy of the book from my library-may well eveal why it was called Roots Hall.
Caroline

Offline Greenonions

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 12:19 BST (UK) »
I checked through the 1841 and the 1861 census of Prittlewell.
There was no mention of Roots Hall in either. However ther was a large house in West Street with surgeons, their families and servants. Different people on each occasion.
Either the enumerator didn`t bother to write the house name or the house wasn`t named till after 1861. * He did write the names of other houses !
There were no Roots people in Prittlewell in either.

Did you know? (Michael Caine impersonation) that the Southend United Football ground is called Roots Hall.
Best wishes
Robert
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Challis Essex & London: Owers Essex: Marson London: Farrow London:
Oliver London & Oxford: Abbott Essex & Edmonton: Bartholomew Islington & Highgate

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking, Robert. I was aware of the southend FC connection and this is what started the quest!!
I will eventually find out why it was called Roots Hall but I don't think it is part of my family history after all - I suppose I could dream for a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!
Caroline (nee Roots - with lots of Essex in my family tree!!)

Offline john macey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 October 05 17:20 BST (UK) »
Roots Hall is of course now the bname of the Southend United Football ground!

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 October 05 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I know!! That is what started this quest in the first place! Many thanks  :) :) :)
Caroline