Author Topic: My Grandmother's grave will tell me where my mothers ashes were scatterd  (Read 1687 times)

Offline AniMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My Grandmother's grave will tell me where my mothers ashes were scatterd
« on: Saturday 24 September 05 11:26 BST (UK) »
I would love some modern day help, and its very close to my heart!

My Mother died in 1961 whilst we were in Malta (Dad in RAF).  Her body was shipped back and I have the Cremation Cert as being at Edinburgh Crem, 3 Walker Street. On 6th Dec 1961.

All I know is that her ashes were scattered over her mother’s grave, which I assuming is also in Edinburgh as my grandmother was born and raised there but…

When my Grandmother died she lived in Aberdeen and the Church they went to was St Ninian’s.

When I asked my Uncle, (Mum’s brother) about it years ago, he ‘could not really remember’ but did mention he thought!! her ashes were scattered over their mothers grave and why didn’t I just forget about this.  Nice man !  Now whether he really had forgotten or there was some family issue I have no idea, although find it strange as he traced the family and my mother's death etc. would have been something to record. (fortunately I don’t have his records so am doing my own thing)

My Grandmothers name was Annie McLaughlan Forsyth (nee Holliday) and she died on 3rd Jan 1959 in Aberdeen.

Mum was Joan Holliday Sinclair (nee Forsyth)

Would anyone be able to trace my Grandmother’s grave or tell me how to do this.  One day I want to return to Scotland and visit my grandmother’s grave.  Perhaps there is an added inscription for my mother.

Annie
 :)
Forsyth, Sinclair, Sabiston, Gunn, Samuel, Raeburn, Stewart, Macfarlane, Crockatt, Crawford

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: My Grandmother's grave will tell me where my mothers ashes were scatterd
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 05 11:52 BST (UK) »
Annie, why don't you contact Edinburgh and Aberdeen Councils.  You have dates of death, so they should be able to find any burial for you, without too much problem.   

http://a2z.edinburgh.gov.uk/displayEntry.jsp?txtTitleID=4627

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/registrars/index.asp

Dorothy

Offline AniMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 05 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, did not think of that !

Annie
Forsyth, Sinclair, Sabiston, Gunn, Samuel, Raeburn, Stewart, Macfarlane, Crockatt, Crawford

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 05 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie
Did you know that in the common room there is a topic The gravestone Store.On that topic you will find offers from various people in all parts of the U.K. Willing to find a grave in a particular cemetery with as much information that you can give,and take photo's + the M.I from the gravestone. There are a few offers for lookups in a large amount of cemeteries in Scotland.Plus a lot of very helpfull people to answear questions on various cemeteries.You might find it helpful

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline AniMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 October 05 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia

Many thanks for the information and will certainly go there if I don't get any result from either Aberdeen or Edinburgh Councils, suggested by Dorothy and they are being so helpful.

I will have to leave this until I get back from hols end of Oct.  Then I am going to 'dig in' for the winter to add the 'meat' to the names I have so far traced. 

Only recently started and am having fun but dont want just names/dates, so know am going to be coming back here often. ;D

Annie