Author Topic: Frederick Spencer in the Army circa 1890 onwards  (Read 1373 times)

Offline jennirosa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Frederick Spencer in the Army circa 1890 onwards
« on: Saturday 24 September 05 11:28 BST (UK) »

Could someone please Lookup Frederick Arthur Spencer.
Married in York 1890 to Lucy Bond

1891 Lucy was at York Cavalry Barracks, Fulford.

Frederick was away with the Army.   ???

At least one of their children William Spencer was born in Ireland. The rest born in York.

He could have been a Chelsea Pensioner?

thanks,
Jennirosa
Bond - Busby -  Spencer (In York  and Eathorpe/Wappenbury  and London    Cooper - Laister  In Yorkshire and Derby  Case  Chant - Gardiner - Kay - Small - Bathersby(Battersby) - Suey  Bishopstone Ireland Australia and China Chittenden - Head - Coombes-   England and Australia

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Spencer in the Army circa 1890 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 05 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennirosa,

Try looking him up in the National Archives
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

You could just strike lucky.

I managed to get a couple of army records for my line

Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 05 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,
          Is it Frederick's Army Records you require? If so they are at the National Archives, Kew and you will need to go along and view them.

Probably this one:
National Archives #1

OR

National Archives #2

Michelle
Researching family trees since 1985.
My family: Jackson of Southwark -- West of Brentford -- Adcock of Westminster -- Stevens of Westminster -- Wynes of Gloucestershire -- Randell of Hackney -- Hern of Berkshire -- Soanes of Oxfordshire -- Holman of Totnes -- Avery of North Tawton.

Offline jennirosa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 September 05 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi  everyone who's looked up Frederick Spencer for me!

I'm in Australia!!! Quite a hike to view his files in Kew!!
Thanks

Jenni    ;D

Bond - Busby -  Spencer (In York  and Eathorpe/Wappenbury  and London    Cooper - Laister  In Yorkshire and Derby  Case  Chant - Gardiner - Kay - Small - Bathersby(Battersby) - Suey  Bishopstone Ireland Australia and China Chittenden - Head - Coombes-   England and Australia

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 September 05 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,
         We didn't realise you were in Australia. The National Archives can find these records for you for a fee and send them to you or you could hire a researcher. The records come in very large boxes and there must be over 100 or so papers in each box. If someone volunteered to do this for you then they would be a very very kind person indeed as it's rather time-consuming   ;).

Michelle
My family: Jackson of Southwark -- West of Brentford -- Adcock of Westminster -- Stevens of Westminster -- Wynes of Gloucestershire -- Randell of Hackney -- Hern of Berkshire -- Soanes of Oxfordshire -- Holman of Totnes -- Avery of North Tawton.

Offline jennirosa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 September 05 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle!

Thanks for the look up! But I think he would be Frederick in his records. Arthur being his second name!
Were they the only two you could find?

Jennirosa

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 September 05 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,
           I think you have misinterpreted those references I sent you wrongly. Frederick would appear in those boxes with the name ranges that I gave you; as I said previously, each box would contain about 100 or so service papers of different individuals. The references I gave you were for the most likely boxes where you would find Frederick's records because his name and initials fall into those name ranges (hope that's clear  ;) ) - you just need to find someone to sort through them for you!
Regards,
Michelle

Offline jennirosa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 September 05 13:14 BST (UK) »
 :)
Thanks Michelle...I've been out in the sun, by a river most of the day!
Watching the Pelicans eyeing off the fishermen for a bite to eat!!
Brain not in gear yet! It's spring here and the days are starting to warm up...I think we are in for a long hot summer!

Jennirosa