Author Topic: Help with FTM2005 starter edition please  (Read 1996 times)

Offline katerimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with FTM2005 starter edition please
« on: Saturday 24 September 05 22:49 BST (UK) »
Can anybody suggest how to do this, please?
I have the basic version of Family Tree Maker 2005, and I am trying to extract just one half of my tree from it to send to one of my partner's rellies. She won't be interested in seeing all my ancestors, just those of my partner. But I have them all in one tree on Genes Re....d, so I downloaded the GEDCOM file from GR, loaded it up into FTM - and now I'm stuck.
 It says that to delete a group of individuals I first need to create a report, Ancestor tree, Descendant tree or Outline Descendant Tree containing the group I want to delete, then select Delete Individuals from the People menu. But all those trees are only available in the deluxe version which I would have to pay for!! I don't want to delete them one by one because it would take hours.
 Any ideas how I can do it? I've even installed Genbox 3.4 from a disk that was free with a magazine, but I can't see how to do it in there either! Help please.   Or if you know another family tree program that you can do this in that may have been free with a magazine, as I have loads of the free disks...Kate.
Bristow, Horsleydown; Glasscodine, anywhere; Ferrier, Edinburgh; Lucey, Bermondsey; Horner, Essex; Bowskill, Elkesley; Salter, Great Yarmouth; Vowles, Bedminster/Cardiff; Morgan, Breconshire; Vidgen, New Romney

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with FTM2005 starter edition please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 05 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate

You could create a descendant report (I think that's what it is called) from the earliest known ancestor in that line and then copy/send that in an email rather than a gedcom - at least that's what I have done in the past.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katerimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 05 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Cas, but somebody already suggested that to me on another website and I tried it, but it only gave me the list for that particular line, but he has several!  Oh well, I'll see if anybody else comes up with any ideas...
Kate.
Bristow, Horsleydown; Glasscodine, anywhere; Ferrier, Edinburgh; Lucey, Bermondsey; Horner, Essex; Bowskill, Elkesley; Salter, Great Yarmouth; Vowles, Bedminster/Cardiff; Morgan, Breconshire; Vidgen, New Romney

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 05:54 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you have managed to do this yet but i have an older version of FTM and when i want to extract part of the tree i create an ancestor tree or report of the person involved and do it that way ... it gives all the ancestors of the person through all the different lines. Although this only gives the direct line on each one and doesn't show siblings.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate

Can you list exactly what reports and tree charts you can make with your version then we may be able to help. I have the Collectors Edition which I am very familiar with.

If the partners rellies are OK with a PC can't they look on GR?

If all this fails you can print an ancestor tree from GR. Click on to my ancestors on the left hand side menu, when the tree comes up click on your partner and then just his lines back should be shown. You can then print this. A report from FTM would be better as it takes up less room.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 05 22:04 BST (UK) »
I have an earlier version of FTM and it allows you to export a gedcom file etc and you can select who you want to send.  Obviously it is name by name so is a bit tedious.  Alternative is to view outline tree and export that as it starts from oldest ancestor.

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katerimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your suggestions.  In the end I just sent her the whole file.
Kate.