Author Topic: 1851 look up please? LEGGAT or LEGGET  (Read 1023 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1851 look up please? LEGGAT or LEGGET
« on: Sunday 25 September 05 16:41 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace back the LEGGAT line in my tree.
Some of what I have is tentative but I'm going with it for the time being.

Does anyone have access to the LANARK 1851 CENSUS to verify if this family is listed?

James LEGGAT married Jane FREW around 1840 in New Monkland

James LEGGET jr. was b. c 1841.

He may have had as siblings Isabella, John, Charlotte (ref IGI); perhaps others.

James LEGGAT jr. married Agnes HALLIDAY in 1860, Cambusnethan; their first known child was named Elizabeth Dick and their second was Jane Frew. The LEGGATs left Scotland for Cumberland, Eng., where three of their seven children were born.

Eventually some of the LEGGAT descendants went to Canada (notably Quebec) and possibly the US.

Anyone out there connected to the same family or have information that could help in my search?

ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 look up please? LEGGAT or LEGGET
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 05 18:58 BST (UK) »
from the 1851 census

there is James and Jean Leggett with son James and daughter Isabella

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 look up please? LEGGAT or LEGGET
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
Looks like an excellent match. Did you have a Deja vu experience by the way? As I prepare to add the new info and look more closely at my files, I think that you had already found that family for me at an earlier time.  Every so often I get truly muddled with all the data! And so, with my applogies, I thank you once again!

Interesting in a way that Jane Frew's name sakes, all the way down to my grandmother (who was Jane Frew Ferguson), seem to have all been called Jeannie rather than Jane.

cheers,

ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)