Author Topic: Confusion with my Bradley's again!  (Read 1044 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Confusion with my Bradley's again!
« on: Thursday 29 September 05 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I hope you all had a fab summer, I've been back for 4 days and I'm once again confused......

Ok I have this Bradley family in Huddersfield.  I've found them on the census' (I think) but there are a couple of things which I can't get straight in my head......please help!

Ok here goes.... (the Wm in bold is the one i'm interested in)

1841 census.
Francis Bradley, head, 40, sadler
Susannah, wife, 35
William, son, 15, sadler
Mary Ann, dau, 15
Martha, dau, 12
Thomas Smith, son, 9
John, son, 6
Emma, dau, 2
Mary Schofield, 70
Jane Bradley, 20
Ellen Bradley, 25
Joseph Bradley 30

(I have no idea where the bottom 4 come from......)

1851 census Union Street

William Bradley, head, 28, sadler, born Hudds
Elizabeth Bradley, wife, 22, born Leeds
Fred Bradley, son, 2 months, born Hudds.

1861 Census Bay Hall, Fartown

William Bradley, head, 39, Sadler, born Hudds
Elizabeth, wife, 33, born Leeds
Fred, son, 10, scholar, born Hudds
Albert, son, 6, scholar, born Hudds
Harry, son, 4, scholar, born Hudds
William, son, 2, scholar, born Hudds
Joe, son, 1, born Hudds
Charley, son, 1, born Hudds
Martha Shaw, visitor, 32, born Hudds
Sarah Ann Parker, servant, 11, nurse, born Hudds

1871 Census

Elizabeth Bradley, wife 44, born Leeds
Albert, son, 16
Harry, son, 14
William, son 12
Charles, son, 11

Where is William??

After that I have no more census info on Willam and Elizabeth becasuse I have moved onto their son William.

Anyway the other day I emailed Huddersfield Reg Office saying that I had a birth record for Charles and Joe, would it be possible to cross reference their parents and find the ref for William's birth so I could order that and find out his mother's (Elizabeth) maiden name.  They were wonderful and sent me the reference for William's birth and Elizabeth and William's marriage.

Today I recieved the marriage certificate which has thrown me slightly......

William Hall Bradley married Elizabeth Brook on Jan 2nd 1848. He was 24 and she 20.  Wm was a sadler, both were residing at Coln Bridge, Heaton.  The census says that Elizabeth was from Leeds, do I assume that this is still the correct marriage cert/census info but she moved to Coln Bridge at some pint before her wedding?
William's father is Francis Bradley, occ Sadler.

Basically I just want to know if the census is for the right people and the same people as the marriage certificate and where does the middle name Hall come from?  I would maybe assume that Hall could be William's mothers maiden name but I think she was Susannah Smith as I have found a marriage for Francis Bradley and Susannah Smith on IGI and another of their son's (Thomas) has Smith as a middle name....

I hope that makes sense!

Thank you in anticipation
Legs
xxxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Utter confusion with my Bradley's again!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 05 12:55 BST (UK) »

Basically I just want to know if the census is for the right people and the same people as the marriage certificate and where does the middle name Hall come from? I would maybe assume that Hall could be William's mothers maiden name but I think she was Susannah Smith as I have found a marriage for Francis Bradley and Susannah Smith on IGI and another of their son's (Thomas) has Smith as a middle name....

First step for me would to prove (as in test)  the IGI marriage entry between Francis Bradley and Susannah, and any  baptismal record for William Hall Bradley.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion with my Bradley's again!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pauline,

I have had a quick look on IGI, I cannot find a christening for William Hall Bradley.

The Francis Bradley, Susannah Smith marriage happened on 26th Nov 1826.  But that was submitted by a member so I could be incorrect.  Also if my maths is correct their son William would have been 2 years old if and when they married in 1826....

What now.......?

Thanks again
Love
Legs
xxxx
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 05 13:09 BST (UK) »
Another possibility would be to obtain a birth certificate for Emma (Francis and Elizabeth's youngest daughter), as this will confirm Elizabeth's maiden name.  FreeBMD have a likely record:  Sep Q 1838 Huddersfield 22 354.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 September 05 13:13 BST (UK) »
Why would you be proving an entry by looking at the IGI again?

Go to PARISH RECORDS.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 September 05 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

1871 - where is William? - Although Elizabeth is down as Wife, she is quite clearly also shown as Widow in the marital status column

ec

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 September 05 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you ec for noticing that, I don't have the original census here just a scribbled note!!

Manchester Rambler....good idea.  I will keep that in mind for when I get paid!  I will also search FreeBMD for William Hall Bradley's birth record as I would rather have that than Emma's.  Actually I might email the Hudds RO again and ask if the birth record they found gives Hall as a middle name for William.

Pauline - I'm very sorry I'm not as good at this as you, I don't have access to parish records, I dont really know what I'm doing at all.  Your message came across as quite abrupt and there is no need to bite my head off.  Please don't feel you have to help me if it makes you cross.  I don't mean to offend by writing this but I don't want to cause you unnecessary angst and I don't think you should be quite so patronising.

Legs
WL-Williams

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 September 05 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I might be getting confused, but isn't the birth record found by Hudd RO the record for William b. 1859.  Isn't it his father who is (possibly) William HALL BRADLEY?

(and born before civil reg)

ec

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 September 05 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Where was Joe (I presume he and Charles/Charley were twins), in 1871.  He is back with his mother in 1881.
I have found a possibility for him  - what was Elizabeth BROOKS fathers name - from the marriage cert?  Have you tracked them?

ec