Author Topic: 1841 - 1851 Look up - Large - Manchester  (Read 775 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
1841 - 1851 Look up - Large - Manchester
« on: Monday 03 October 05 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can someone look up a family for me firstly on 1851 -

James Large and wife Ann. Not sure whether James was born in Manchester as other censuses just say Cheshire. James was born around 1828.

Then same James Large born circa 1828 possibly in the Manchester area, depends on what it says from 1851 for his birth place. In 1841, as would like to know who his parents were etc.

Thanks in advance

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - 1851 Look up - Large - Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 October 05 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

Not sure but could this be your family in the 1861 census. If yes then it seems he (James) was born in Crab Tree Green which is a small hamlet in the township of Oakmere, Northwich Cheshire.

There is no country wide name index for any census prior to 1861, so not possible to search by name only, someone would need an address. Looking at the birth of the oldest child William c1851 I would guess they were in Manchester and that is where you should be looking first.

There is a marriage indexed in the
 http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

dated March 1850 Manchester vol 20 page 547 James Large, there are a couple of Ann's on the same page. You should find her maiden name first from one of the children's birth certificates, then from the marriage cert you should get the name of their fathers which will make searching easier.

I have searched the Oakmere/Crabtree Green area in 1841 and not found any families named Large.

1861 RG9-2932-f84  Ancoats Manchester

James Large 31 carter Crab tree green Cheshire
Ann               32 Burnage Manchester
William          10 Manchester
Samuel          8 Manchester
Sarah            6 ~

good luck and if you get a name for his father let me know and I will search again.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 October 05 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes that is the right family from 1861. James senior married Ann Jackson. James' father was called William.

Hope this helps!

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 October 05 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think you may be better putting a request for this search on our Lancashire board.

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
                   In case there is anyone else interested in this family, Alex did as suggested and posted on the Lancashire board, where she and I managed to work out a connection.  See there for more information!
     Would it help anyone to locate them on the 1841, to know the family came from Tarvin according to the 1851 census, when they are indeed in Manchester. The father was William, born 1801. Wife was Sarah. (William was also the father of my GGG aunt Eliza Woulidge, nee Large)
                                 Regards
                                             Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane/Alex

I have had a look through the 1841 Tarvin and found this family that looks right, but no James with them to make a connection.

HO107-98-10-Page26  Old Moss Tarvin

William Large 40 ag/lab       all born in county
Sarah 38
Mary 11
Elizabeth 9
Samuel 6
Daniel 4
Ann 2
Ann William 4 months

I found in a marriage index details of a marr at Tarvin St Andrews 20/4/1827 for William Large and Sarah Houghland.

I checked again through the Tarvin parish to see if there was an Houghland family thought James may have been with them. On the next page (28) to William Large are details of these families which may be connected somewhere along the line,but no James Large.

Samuel Houghland 75 ag lab
Mary 70

next door

Thomas Houghland 50 ag lab
Lucy 50
William 9
Samuel 2

hope this helps

peterbennett

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Thanks so much for that. I had already found the marriage of William to Sarah Houghland and am grateful for you looking them up also. This is really helpful.
Hopefully Jane has seen this too and now we have much more to go on!

Thanks again

Regards

Alex

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 October 05 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Alex and Peter,
                                  Many thanks for this, another Peter Bennet tour de force. Apologies for the late reply, I was off line last night
                                         Regards and gratitude,
                                                           Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk