Author Topic: Beadles - 1841 Census  (Read 3130 times)

Offline coelynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Beadles - 1841 Census
« on: Tuesday 04 October 05 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Would it be possible for someone to look up the following on the 1841 Census.

Thomas Beadles born about 1777 and his wife Mary Beadles born about 1781 - both were born in Shropshire, but the last of their children (that I've found) was born in 1820 in Montgomery.  I realise that they may have died before the 1841 Census - but I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks in anticipation

Lynne Coe
Melbourne, Australia

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Beadles - 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 05 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,
Just a couple of questions to clarify.
What were the names of their children and were they born in Montgomeryshire or Montgomery town?   If you can give me their names and confirm place of birth I'll have a look.
Problem is, the 1841 is not indexed and is a copy of the original, so any help in narrowing down the search is of great help.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline coelynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 05 22:24 BST (UK) »
Dave,
Thanks for your reply - the information I have about the children are as follows:
James Beadles christened 23 June 1805 in Llandyssyl, Montgomery, Wales

David Beadles christened 3 July 1808 also in Llandyssyl

Richard Beadles christened 21 July 1811 in Llandyssyl.

William Beadles christened 29 Dec 1816 in Llandloes, Montgomery

Ann Beadles or Beedles christened 25 June 1820 in Llandyssyl

I have found David and his family on the 1841 and following censuses  (he's my direct line) -  and possibly William in the 1881 Census.

I'd appreciate any help you may be able to give, although, I didn't realise the census wasn't indexed.

Thanking you

Lynne
Melbourne, Australia

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,
I see you are in Melbourne, you may know my cousin Janet  ;D.
The Beadles/Beedles are proving quite elusive.   I checked the 1851 and 1861 census first and there were none born Llandyssul and only one from Montgomery, but not one of yours.
I checked the 1841 and could find none in Montgomery.   However, the record was unreadable in places.
I did find the following in 1841...................
HO107/1440/8, Llandissil Parish, Enumeration District 3, page 11
Address: Dingle House, all surnames Beedles, all born in county...........
Edward, 40, Ag Lab,
Jane, 40,
John, 13
George, age probably 11
Elizabeth, 9
Ann, 6

Same reference as above on page 12, address:  ? Common
Richard, 30, Miller I
Elizabeth, 30
George, 10
Mary, 7
Eliza, 4
Also Elizabeth Rogers, 65, Lodger

Ann Beadles may well have married by 1841, but her marriage does not show on freeBMD between 1837 and 1841.   The boys may have moved to a different parish or county as they did not appear to be in Montgomeryshire in 1851.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Dave 8)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 February 13 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne,
I see you are in Melbourne, you may know my cousin Janet  ;D.
The Beadles/Beedles are proving quite elusive.   I checked the 1851 and 1861 census first and there were none born Llandyssul and only one from Montgomery, but not one of yours.
I checked the 1841 and could find none in Montgomery.   However, the record was unreadable in places.
I did find the following in 1841...................
HO107/1440/8, Llandissil Parish, Enumeration District 3, page 11
Address: Dingle House, all surnames Beedles, all born in county...........
Edward, 40, Ag Lab,
Jane, 40,
John, 13
George, age probably 11
Elizabeth, 9
Ann, 6

Same reference as above on page 12, address:  ? Common
Richard, 30, Miller I
Elizabeth, 30
George, 10
Mary, 7
Eliza, 4
Also Elizabeth Rogers, 65, Lodger

Ann Beadles may well have married by 1841, but her marriage does not show on freeBMD between 1837 and 1841.   The boys may have moved to a different parish or county as they did not appear to be in Montgomeryshire in 1851.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Dave 8)

Hi, I am related to the Beadles family with Elizabeth Rogers.  are you related to this line at all.

regards Floozy
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk