Author Topic: Strange, but true...  (Read 11042 times)

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
Re: Strange, but true...
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 August 04 23:00 BST (UK) »
Many years ago before I started the FH research,I used to pass through the Potteries and North Staffordshire,I always felt an affinity with the area. I stopped off in the town of Leek and standing by the War Memorial felt as if I had been there before.Jump forward twenty years and I am looking for my grandfather's birthplace. I always assumed he was a Lancashire man and searched everywhere for his birth.
It wasn't until the 1901 census came online that I found him living in Manchester age 16 and his birthplace was Leek. I have since found out that one of my more distant ancestors is named on that War Memorial [cue spooky music]
Since then I have traced my roots back to Rocester,Alton,Burslem and Ipstones as well, going back to the mid 1500's.
All places I visited [for no apparent reason ] in the early 60's.

I used to work with another relation on my mother's side [without knowing he was related] I hadn't seen him for years and bumped into him in the local library family history section. I discovered he was descended from my great uncle.

We are all cousins if we go back far enough.
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 07:19 BST (UK) »
Rover 800 Fitty - will wave to you as he speeds past Halifax.  What's it like there?  We could stop for a wander.  I hate it when I haven't been somewhere!   ;) ;)
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 11:21 BST (UK) »
Right at this moment??   I've got one eye on the Dog, she was fed far too many many titbits at the weekend and the other eye on the back door...it's rained non stop for 2 days and i mean rained!   it's about an inch from coming in the kitchen! :'(

Fitty - wearing wellies  lol
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline MrsLizzy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 13:33 BST (UK) »
Same here and this is the driest county in England.  Coming round yours soon for a Baileys though:  I've been doing Financial Services work for 3 solid weeks and am losing the will to live.  I need alcohol!
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 14:46 BST (UK) »
MRSLIZZY ! AH found out one thing about you ,,
                  you like a Drink !! ;D ;D ;D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline MrsLizzy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 19:35 BST (UK) »
Something else about me:  I've never been drunk, not ever, not even once!  Just like the occasional Baileys or alternative creamy cocktail such as  a grasshopper!  Now if I could get merry on anything, it would be grasshoppers (hold the chocolate, barman, I'm allergic to it!)  It tastes like a minty soft drink, and makes me all relaxed and smiley!!

But anyone who did nothing but Financial Services work for 3 weeks would need a drink!

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 09:45 BST (UK) »
I like the "odd" Gin or four.  Mothers ruin i know! but it's only thing i like really.  Although i did buy a bottle of Bicardi Limon for the do at the weekend and it was verrrrrry nice!   I must be one of the lucky ones because i never get a hangover.    I keep telling him in doors, i,m saving us a packet on Asprin  ;D 
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 13:08 BST (UK) »
Mmm Gin.

sorry, caught on another thought and a terrible cross channel ferry trip...

Anyway, spooky.  Yes that's where I was heading.  Last night when I discovered my new families thanks to the will I downloaded I wanted onto scotlandspeople to look for a marriage.  Before I did that I went onto ESPC the estate agents pages for edinburgh and looked at a flat I liked the look of which is about 2 roads away. Heyho, nowt strange there.

Then I did my marriage search, found them.  All simple.  They were married, next door to the flat I'd found, in a Presbyterian church that is still there AND they lived on that street.  Ahhhh..

Pass me the tonic,
P ;D

PS Should of added before last night I thought I was the first of my family to live in Edinburgh!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 18:58 BST (UK) »
We moved about 30 miles away from our home town four years ago, and bought a new house on an estate built on the site of a former County Lunatic Asylum.  About a year after we moved in I found that my Gt-Grandfather had suffered from Huntingdons Chorea and had died in that very Asylum in 1917.  (Luckily the disease wasn't passed on to my Grandmother).

The main building is listed and still standing, although derelict, and every time I walk past I wonder where his room was, which windows he might have looked out of, etc.

Sasha.

p.s.  Mrs Lizzy - what is a grasshopper?  Mint and alcohol sound like a dream combination to me.