Author Topic: A bit of advice please?  (Read 6898 times)

Offline Tids54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
A bit of advice please?
« on: Wednesday 05 October 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor quoted on a census that place of birth was Shordles, Derbys. The only birth index that COULD match him is in Basford. Please could anyone tell me if they are near to each other?

Thanks

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of advice please?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you give the census reference, as I have never heard of Shordles, as I would like to check it and give you the correct name. Basford district covers Notts and some parts of Derbyshire. These parts of Derbyshire have come under different districts at different times eg. Ilkeston, so may lead to confusion when looking up other dates. To add to the confusion there is a place called Basford in Notts which does not come under Basford registration district but comes under Nottingham itself as it is in the City and not the County!

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tids54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Its the 1891 census for Handsworth, Staffs. His name is Francis Clayton. The only reference I have is RG12/2259 - is that any help? (new to this)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know it looks like shordles on the census but I can only think of Shardlow that is similar. Basford covered Codnor & Loscoe, Codnor Park, Heanor, Ilkeston and Shipley. Shardlow is a registration district of its own from 1837 to 1930. I will look for a birth in Shardlow for you.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you noticed that your ancestor records his place of birth as Peak Forest rather than Shordles in all the other censuses (1861, 1871, 1881 & 1901)?  Peak Forest came under the registration disrict of Chapel en le Frith.

Regards,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I cannot find the birth on the internet. You said that the only birth that could match is in Basford. You could be right but there may be the correct birth that you haven't found yet.

My advice is to go to the Derbyshire Look Up board and ask for a Birth look up for Francis/Frances Clayton, 1845-1847, Derbyshire. You could narrow it down to Shardlow or Basford or leave it open for all of Derbyshire.

The people doing the look ups have far more resources than the ones available on the internet, eg Family History Society CDs, IGI. You may be lucky and find it.

Good luck

Jane

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I think this could be the birth you're looking for:

September Quarter 1847

CLAYTON, Francis  Chapel en le Frith XIX 411

Regards,

Allan

Scrub that!  This is a different Francis CLAYTON (also born Derbyshire c1847) as is the person I found in the censuses above.  This other Francis, born Peak Forest also appears in the 1891 census  :-[

Sorry,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tids54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your efforts Jane - truly appreciated.

Allan.....why do you think that might be? Where is Chapel thingy?

Thank you also Allan  :)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
Genuki for Peak Forest has a number of lists from cemeteries, marriages etc, Kellys Directory etc. Every one has a Clayton on it somewhere - even though the population in one census was only 534 souls. 8)
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/PeakForest/
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk