Author Topic: Waverley Cemetery Sydney NSW  (Read 4011 times)

Offline lin-james

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Waverley Cemetery Sydney NSW
« on: Saturday 08 October 05 10:29 BST (UK) »
From info a relative gave me I believe that my Great Great Grandmother Sarah Udall and her daugher Louisa Jane Greenfield are buried in Waverley Cemetery.

Can anybody confirm this and perhaps let me have the inscription and description if any of the memorial.

I have found out that Louisa married a Charles Neale in Portsmouth Hampshire in 1872, so have not found out yet whether she was widdowed in England/Australia or when she went to Australia and if she remarried in Australia.   Can anybody find a marriage for her.

I know her brother charles went with his family and parents to australia in 1884.

Sue
Udall  Isle of Wight/Hants?Dorset
Streeton  Croxton Kerrial, Leicestershire
Hinton Sutton Veny Wiltshire
George Pembrokeshire

Offline Brisgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Waverley Cemetery Sydney NSW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 October 05 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I had a search of the NSW BDM index online this morning and came up with the following records:

Marriage:
[ref. no, groom, bride, place]

343/1877,  GREENFIELD  JOHN CHARLES,  NEAL  LOUISE JANE,  SYDNEY 

Deaths:
[ref. no, name, parents' names, place]

5716/1899,  GREENFIELD  LOUISA J,  SAMUEL  SARAH A,  GRANVILLE   

124/1893,  UDALL  SARAH,  ROBERT  ELIZABETH,  SYDNEY 

I did find a death record for a Charles Neale in NSW, but it was two years too late if the marriage record above is for your Louisa (believe it is her, despite spelling errors which were not unusual):

5717/1879  NEALE  CHARLES  THOMAS J  ELIZABETH S  GRAFTON   

I don't have access to the Waverley cemetery records.  If you want to confirm that Louisa and Sarah are there you might want to consider purchasing a transcript of either record (cheaper than a certificate) from Marilyn Rowan:

www.marbract.com.au

Or try contacting the cemetery administration directly:

http://www.waverley.nsw.gov.au/cemetery/email.asp

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers, Brisgirl
Hewson (Dublin); Beacom (Co. Tyrone), Beer (Devon); Perry (Warwickshire); Tanner (Wiltshire); Mostyn Owen (Shropshire & Wales); Coles (Somerset & London); Fox (Cornwall); Peirce (Monmouth); Tolson (Yorkshire); Haigh (Yorkshire); Lunn (Yorkshire); Neill (Co. Down); Davies (Shropshire); Dryden (Roxburgh); McVane (Roxburgh); Lillico (Roxburgh); Symington (Roxburgh); Dickson (Roxburgh).

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 06 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue
I don't know if you have the records for Waverley, I  have just purchased the disk and it lists
Samuel Udall died 29 12 1884 Inscription "B Freshwater England 15 Nov 1816"
Sarah Ann Udall died 22 Jan 1893  "His wife Youngest dau of Robert  Dolling      (Physician) B Beaulier Co, Southampton England 13 Feb 1816"
and Louisa Jane Greenfiled died 6.8.1892 aged 52  "my Wife"

all in grave 1262 S9 R18 General Section Waverley

hope this helps

Cass

Offline lin-james

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 06 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cass

Thank your very much for that information.   I posted the Waverley Cemetery note some time ago and had given up hope.   

Is there by any chance any more Udalls or Udells buried in Waverley Cemetery.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Sue
Udall  Isle of Wight/Hants?Dorset
Streeton  Croxton Kerrial, Leicestershire
Hinton Sutton Veny Wiltshire
George Pembrokeshire

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 06 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Sue
Sorry no other Udall's (used UD*) at Waverley or South Head Cemeteries,
I also checked the Macquarie Park  and Rookwood disk's. Nothing at Macq Park however Rookwood have 3 Udall's 

UDALL Charles John died 8.6.1921 age 70  Anglican section buried with  UDALL Emma died 1.12.1908 age 52 Headstone Inscription "husb of above"

also a possible UDALL? Thomas Taggart in Methodist Section died 27.8.1925 age 71 Inscription Husb of Annie Udall (headstone Fallen)  No record of Annie on disk

thought they may " belong" to you,
All the best for 2007

Cass