Author Topic: Trying to find my Gt grnadfathers father was not mentioned on his birth certifca  (Read 1385 times)

Offline beauty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi I am new to the list.

Can anyone help me with this? I am trying to find out who was my Gt grandfathers father as he was not mentioned on My Gt Grandfathers birth certifcate, his name was William Leah born 1847 Bramhall England, his mother said it was a harriet leah, her parents were charles leah and Ann Leah,

Because of this I cannot go any further back on my Leah line, so wondered if there is any way of knowing who the father could have been?????

Appreciate any help thanks

Barbara Mcvey(Leah) from Australia
My email is not working sorry

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find my Gt grnadfathers father was not mentioned on his birth cert
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 05 10:07 BST (UK) »
I think you're going to have trouble as it definitely looks like an illegitimate birth.

Harriet LEAH seems to still be unmarried and living alone in 1881 census:-

Harriet LEAH      Head         Female      54      Bramhall, Cheshire     Silk Weaver      

Dwelling     Benja Fold
     Census Place    Bramhall, Cheshire, England
    Public Records Office Reference     RG11
    Piece / Folio     3486 / 95
    Page Number     4

You should try the Cheshire Board for this query - you might have more luck  :)
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find my Gt grnadfathers father was not mentioned on his birth cert
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 05 11:01 BST (UK) »
from the information you have supplied it would appear that the birth was illegitimate and that Harriet has maintained her own name throughout.

The Leah line then continues backwards through her and her father Charles