Author Topic: 1851/1861/1871 census: William Hammonds, Steyning  (Read 2445 times)

Offline acauston

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851/1861/1871 census: William Hammonds, Steyning
« on: Sunday 09 October 05 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to establish some continuity (or not) in this man's stated occupation.  William & Elizabeth married and raised two children at Steyning.  However, by the 1881 census, William was widowed and he was a Labourer at the East India Dockyards in London.  When his daughter Jane married in 1857 (at Brighton), she stated her father's occupation was shipwright.  I am hoping to corroborate something along these lines (dock worker/shipwright) by finding William Hammonds in any of the 1851, 1861 or 1871 censuses.  Could someone help, please?  This information might help determine whether daughter Jane had married her first cousin.
Cheers, from a rainyrainyrainy Annapolis Valley,
Alison Causton
London/Croydon: Causton. Steyning, Coombes & Piddinghoe, Sussex: Lamport. Bournemouth/Croydon: Dunford. Bristol/Croydon: Wawman, Hurford. Long Crichel, Dorset: Loader. Wivelsfield, Sussex: Miles. Kilrea, Co L'Derry: Kilpatrick, M'Kay. Caledon & Dungannon, Co Tyrone: Huggins, Kennedy, Thompson. Co Kerry: Burke. Corbrackey, Co Armagh: Flavell, Jones. DruminallyDuff, Co Armagh: Gilmore.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/1861/1871 census: William Hammonds, Steyning
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 05 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison
An age and place of birth for William would help here.  There is one in 1851 born Steyning age 35, ,with wife Elizabeth who is a labourer.  He has a son Thomas who is a Shipwright's apprentice.  It was not unusual then (or now) to exaggerate a job!  However they have several children and no Jane.  I have just looked at the 1881 and see that the William in London has a son Thomas living with him who is a shipwright.  Looks promising!
HO 107 F27 p46 Northfleet Kent
William Hammond 35 b Steyning
Elizabeth 40   "
Thomas 17      "
Ann 15    "
Matilda 12    "
Isaac 6 b Northfleet
William 4    "
The only problem with this is that they did not only have two kids.  Why do you think there were only two?  It may be another family.   Wonder where Jane is?
Andrea

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 05 18:51 BST (UK) »
Could we have a bit more info on William please, year of birth, place of birth and does he appear in 1881 as Hammond or Hammonds.
There are 48 William Hammonds listed the only one in London is someones son!
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline acauston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 October 05 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, sillgen and Suey:
William was a "Hammonds", born in 1815 at Steyning in Sussex.  Sorry for the lack of detail in my original post ... I realized this omission as we were driving away to a meeting this afternoon! ::)
Yes, that's "our" William Hammonds in the 1881 census, and sillgen's find at Northfleet in Kent does fit.  Heaven only knows where Jane is ... probably in service somewhere ... and I certainly did not know about these other children born after Thomas!!  I had only Jane and Thomas from baptisms in the Steyning parish register, not knowing the family had moved on to Northfleet.  Thank you so much for this information.
Is William given as a labourer in the 1851 census?
Cheers,
Alison
London/Croydon: Causton. Steyning, Coombes & Piddinghoe, Sussex: Lamport. Bournemouth/Croydon: Dunford. Bristol/Croydon: Wawman, Hurford. Long Crichel, Dorset: Loader. Wivelsfield, Sussex: Miles. Kilrea, Co L'Derry: Kilpatrick, M'Kay. Caledon & Dungannon, Co Tyrone: Huggins, Kennedy, Thompson. Co Kerry: Burke. Corbrackey, Co Armagh: Flavell, Jones. DruminallyDuff, Co Armagh: Gilmore.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 05 08:53 BST (UK) »
Yes he was a labourer (not Elizabeth).,  It was also Hammond without the "S".   Cannot find him in 1861.  Do you know when he died.  Who did Jane marry?
Andrea

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 October 05 10:25 BST (UK) »

Here they be  ;D
RG9/472  Folio 21  page 33&34
1861 - Northfleet at No 13 Dock Row

William Hammond Head - 46 a Labourer born Stenning
Elizabeth Wife - 56 - ditto
Isaac Son - 16 - Labourer born Northfleet
William Son - 14 - Smith

in same household

Thomas Lamport Head - 26 Labourer born Sussex Coomb
Jane Wife - 31 born Sussex Steyning
Caroline Dau - 11 a scholar born Sussex Shoreham
Ellen Dau - 3 born Sussex Newhaven
Ann Dau - 1yr born Sussex Newhaven

found them by looking for Isaac.
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 October 05 10:45 BST (UK) »
Here is Jane 1871 now at 13 Castor Street Poplar
RG10/583  Folio 88  page.9

Thomas Lamport Head - 37 a Labourer
Jane Wife - 42
Ellen Dau - 13 a Scholar
Ann Dau - 11 a Scholar
Reuban Son - 8 a scholar born Northfleet
Fanny Dau - age 3 months born Poplar

all other pob as before.

Offline acauston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 October 05 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, Andrea:
Yes, the name changed from Hammonds to Hammond during the mid-nineteenth century.  I don't know when William died, but it was after the 1881 census (when he appeared, widowed and living with son Thomas).
I see Suey's popped up with some more census data ;-).
Cheers,
Alison

Offline acauston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 October 05 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Suey:
Interesting -- I had the 1861 and the 1871 census data for Jane and Thomas (and subsequent census data for their children), but had not made the connection to Isaac in the 1861! 
I was hoping to find Isaac's father William in either the 1861 or 1871 census, primarily to find out what his stated occupation was in those censuses.  In 1881, he said he was a Laborer on the East India Docks, while son Thomas was given as a shipwright.
There's a bit of method to my madness, if you'll bear with me.  Several months ago, I purchased Jane's & Thomas' marriage registration, which gave the following data:
- Thomas Lamport, 23, bachelor, labourer, parish of Newhaven in this county, father: Henry Lamport, shepherd (our 2xG-grandfather).
- Jane Lamport, 27, spinster, 52 Norfolk Square, father: William Lamport, shipwright.
- Marriage solemnized at St Nicholas Church, Brighton.
At the time, I didn't know how, or if, this Jane Lamport figured into our family tree.  In subsequent censuses for Thomas' & Jane's family (the 1861, 1871 and 1881), I noted that Jane gave her place of birth as Steyning and year of birth as 1830.  So, I looked into my file of transcription notes of Lamport (& Lampard, etc etc) data from the Steyning parish records.  I found one Jane Lamport baptised on 19 July 1829 (and no other of similar name for 16+ years either side of that year).  Jane's mother was recorded as "Elizabeth, servant".  In 1834, Elizabeth had another child, Thomas, and she was recorded as "Elizabeth, singlewoman."  In 1835, Elizabeth married William Hammonds at Steyning.  That's where I lost track of the William & Elizabeth Hammonds family.
Although Jane's father is given as "William Lamport" on the marriage registration, I think this was probably an error.  I have a hunch that what happened was, when asked her father's name and occupation, Jane replied, "William, shipwright", leaving the priest to fill in the blank about her father's surname. 
I would like to "close the loop" between Jane and Thomas, that is, link the two families in the family tree.  I feel that I can reasonably do so depending what the 1861, 1871 and 1891 censuses say about William Hammonds' occupation.
I hope I've explained this clearly ... it's clear in my mind and in my software program, but might have suffered something in the translation to this post ;D.
Many thanks for all your patience!!
Alison Causton
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia