Author Topic: My Sussex Surname Interests  (Read 11828 times)

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
Re: My Sussex Surname Interests
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 November 07 10:15 GMT (UK) »

I am interested in this string only because I live in Henfield although a Northerner by birth.
There are still lots of Woolgars in the Telephone book but none in Henfield, there are no Lishes in the Brighton phone book (which covers Henfield) and the only Lelliott is a frim making blinds in Brighton.
Dot
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 November 07 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ben,

I'm not sure if there is a connection or not.  My oldest known FAIRS is a Thomas FAIRS but he was born about 1793 in West Grinstead.  I don't know his wife's name as I believe she died between 1838 and 1841.  Thomas had 9 children. The oldest, George, was born in Cowfold in 1826.  The rest of the children in West Grinstead.  In the 1841 census the family are living in Parham and in 1851 they are in Cowfold where they remain.

Dot,

It's interesting how families spread out over time.  Before the Railways and Motor Cars came along, families could only spread out as far as their feet or horses could take them.  They tended to stay put for generations.  My WOOLGAR connection with Henfield stopped around 1810 when the family seemed to move to Beeding, although a WOOLGAR was back in Henfield in the 1881 census.  I think my branch of the LELLIOTT's must have left Henfield between 1891 and 1901.  The family are all there in the 1891 census but by the 1901 census they have spread out and some are in Southwick.  As for the LISH's my branch left around 1850 and some are in London and some are in Brighton at that time.

I should add that my connection with Henfield is with my own family via the WOOLGAR's and LELLIOTT's and my husbands family with the LISH's.  It's interesting (and handy) that our heritage is from the same small place in England considering we are here in Australia.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER, TILLETT, SMITH, THEOBALD, ANDREWS, NAUNTON, UNDERWOOD - Suffolk
LISH, HARMAN, HARLAND, LELLIOTT, WOOLGAR, WOOLVEN, FAIRS - Sussex
McGEE/MAGEE, LISH, WITHERS, PITMAN - London
WITHERS - London, Gloucestershire
PITMAN - London, Kent
ATTRILL, BOURNE - Isle of Wight
CADWALLADER - Wales
KNIGHT - Northamptonshire
O'LEARY - Ireland
BEGGS, BANDEAN, BROWN, SCOTT, DEWAR, RICHARDSON, RAMSAY - Scotland

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 November 07 15:06 GMT (UK) »

Coincidences don't you just love them !!!!!!!!!!!
3 days after my last posting I was looking at the censuses for a friend who is researching the history of her house in Henfield. I found in the 1861 census a Ruth Lelliott aged 14 a servant at the house of William S Challen - thought it may be useful to someone.
The house is now called Challens and is in Golden Square at the southern end of the High Street.
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 November 07 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dot,

Ruth LELLIOTT was my Great Great Grand Aunt!!  Her parents were Phillip LELLIOTT and Hannah EMSLEY.  I lost track of Ruth after the 1851 census where she is listed as a 4 year old living with the rest of the family at a place or house named "Lydds" in Henfield.  Does this place ring any bells with you?  I would be most grateful if you have access to a digital camera for some photo's of these places.  The LELLIOTT family were showing at Lydds in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census.  They were at a place called "Knights" in Henfield in 1841 and in Church Lane in 1881.

What a coincidence!

Alison
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER, TILLETT, SMITH, THEOBALD, ANDREWS, NAUNTON, UNDERWOOD - Suffolk
LISH, HARMAN, HARLAND, LELLIOTT, WOOLGAR, WOOLVEN, FAIRS - Sussex
McGEE/MAGEE, LISH, WITHERS, PITMAN - London
WITHERS - London, Gloucestershire
PITMAN - London, Kent
ATTRILL, BOURNE - Isle of Wight
CADWALLADER - Wales
KNIGHT - Northamptonshire
O'LEARY - Ireland
BEGGS, BANDEAN, BROWN, SCOTT, DEWAR, RICHARDSON, RAMSAY - Scotland

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 November 07 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,
I will attach the photographs of Church Lane I have taken (hopefully)
The Lydds and Knights I am going to go into the Museum later this week (I'm out Mon, Tues and Wed) and see what I can find out.
Dot
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 November 07 09:35 GMT (UK) »
and another.
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire

Offline kgb301

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 November 09 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate anyone who is related to one: Colin E. Lelliott, who I believe was born in Sussex, England. He or he and his family emigrated to Canada and he later joined the police. Sad to say, he was killed in the line of duty in 1960. I believe a possible relative by the name of Alison Wilson was looking for information on him in 2003. I have tried to trace Colin's sister Cynthia, but have been unable to locate her. If anyone is a direct relative of Colin or has any information on his sister or how family members can be contacted, I and members of the police force, would be very grateful. It is important to receive this information as soon as possible. Today is Nov 26, 2009. ;D

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 November 09 19:39 GMT (UK) »
You left chat as I posted....may help with some research, if not exactly what you need......but,
Colin E Lelliott b1938 went to Canada in 1947 as did Cynthia M Lelliott, b1936.  Record details can be viewed at Find my Past (pay per view).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 November 09 19:46 GMT (UK) »
It may help folks to help you if they also understand a bit more as to the reason for your research.....they can read a bit of background at:

http://maintainourmemories-rcmpgraves.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-two-in-memory-of-reg19731-cst.html

and

http://maintainourmemories-rcmpgraves.blogspot.com/
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .