Author Topic: Herbert Schofield  (Read 1486 times)

Offline KoKo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Herbert Schofield
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 20:56 BST (UK) »
Can any one help me trace the history of my Great Uncle Bert??

Herbert Schofield was born in 1886 to John Henry Schofield and Anne Wooley. He had a twin sister Ethel Schofield and an elder Brother James Henry Schofield.

It is believed that Bert served in the Great War of 1914 / 18 and emigrated to Canada some time later.  Family rumour has it that he married someone called Pearl? but don't know whether she was English or Canadian.

I have searched many lists of Canadian immigrants to no avail.
I have also tried the Canadian census but without knowing where in Canada he was it is the proverbial needle in a haystack!!

Can anyone help out with search areas or further information.

Thanks in advance

David.
Kavanagh - Hartington, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Buxton, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Macclesfield Cheshire
Riley - Sheen, Staffordshire
Dent - Wensleydale Yorkshire
Schofield - Derbyshire / Lancashire
Marks - Nationwide !!

Dent, Leyburn and Newbiggin, Yorks

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Schofield
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi David

You aren't going to find him on lists of immigrants, because the passenger lists after 1865 are not indexed. There are very few transcribed and online, so you would be looking through a great many microfilms (ugh!) without knowing a month and year at the minimum.

I'm not sure where you've been looking wehn you say you have tried the Canadian census but our last one is 1911 and that is long before you say your man arrived. So there are NONE that are available for the time period you want/need

However, a good census substitute is The National Registration File of 1940

This was the registration of all people 16 years of age or olde, from 1940 to 1946. There is a great deal of information on this Registration. This is another way to find an ancestor in that time period.

Statistics Canada holds these records and for a fee they will search on your behalf. See the explanation and an online order form at

http://naturalizationrecords.com/canada/

That is the only Canada-wide set of records I can think of that will help you narrow down his location

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Not sure if this is your Great Uncle, but there is a Herbert Schofield born 1886 on the Canadian Database for WWI.  He is living in Manitoba when he signed up but gives his next of kin as his wife living in Derbyshire. 

Here's the link

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gat2/081098a.gif

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KoKo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 05 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the link. It could well be Uncle Bert, because there are strong family links to Glossop via his twin sister and his younger step brothers and sisters.

The date is a little earlier than I was expecting, but all the information I have on Bert's life and times is via the family grapevine and as such contains "much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate".

The balance of probability at this stage is that your link has found our man!

Many thanks

David.   :)
Kavanagh - Hartington, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Buxton, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Macclesfield Cheshire
Riley - Sheen, Staffordshire
Dent - Wensleydale Yorkshire
Schofield - Derbyshire / Lancashire
Marks - Nationwide !!

Dent, Leyburn and Newbiggin, Yorks