Author Topic: 1st (Royal) Dragoons (Completed)  (Read 824 times)

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1st (Royal) Dragoons (Completed)
« on: Thursday 13 October 05 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have recently found out that my GtGt Grandfather was in the above regiment, (approx. dates 1855-1879). I believe that this regiment has since been amalgamated with another regiment (possibly the Blues and Royals). Can anybody advise me as to which WO references I should use to apply for any records appertaining to him. He was classed as outpatient Chelsea Pensioner on the 1881 Census.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards Ericx ???
Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: 1st (Royal) Dragoons
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 05 13:03 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this site first.

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/cav/DG1kdg.htm

I would then contact the regimental museum, see if then can help at all.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1st (Royal) Dragoons
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 05 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for your message will follow it up.
Regards Ericx
Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1st (Royal) Dragoons (Completed)
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 October 05 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am posting this message to say that I have now found the information I required and have since been able to access records on-line from The National Archives at Kew. For any person who is interested The National Archives are running a trial scheme called ''Digital Express copy service''. If you have some information for the person you are looking for, they will do a search and send you an e-mail with the corresponding details in a file attachment which you can download on to your computer, the cost is £6.50 per record. I asked for two sets of records, I was succesful with one and not with the other, but you still pay regardles of whether they find these records or not.
Please consult The National Archives web site for further info. with regards to which records are covered and how the scheme works.
Hope you find this of some help
Ericx