Author Topic: 1901 CENSUS  (Read 2527 times)

Offline KAT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
1901 CENSUS
« on: Saturday 21 August 04 17:05 BST (UK) »
 I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TRACE MY PATERNAL GRANDMOTHER AND HER FAMILY FOR SOME WHILE.HER NAME WAS LILY BRUMPTON BORN ON 11 OCTOBER 1898 AT BRANDESBURTON IN EAST YORKSHIRE.HER FATHER WAS JOHN FRANCIS BRUMPTON AND HER MOTHER JANE BRUMPTON NEE BARNFATHER.

I HAVE TRACED ALL MY OTHER GRANDPARENTS AND GREAT GRANPARENTS ON THE 1901 CENSUS BUT THE BRUMPTONS SEEM TO HAVE DISSAPPEARED OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? ???

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 CENSUS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 04 19:26 BST (UK) »
Have you tried mis-spelling the name?  Sometimes that comes up trumps.

---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 August 04 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here are some of the things I have come across with my lot ( besides the misspelling of names),  it may be  of some help to you :

It may be something as simple as they did not fill in the 1901 census ( I couldn't find my grandmother on the 1901 census, her father didn't fill one in)

Or do you know for sure that your grandmothers parents were married and living together   at the time of the census

This happened to me with my great grandfather. I had my Great grandfathers birth certificate and the  name of his  father  on the cert . My G grandfather was registered under the fathers name on the  birth certificate, but I could not find him anywhere at all on the 1881 census when he was a  9 year old child. So I put in my G Grandfathers mothers maiden name - and low and behold I found his mother with my G grandfather

The  mother was unmarried  and was with my  9 yr old G  Grandfather on the census under her  maiden name .The named husband which I had on the birth cert was living a few doors down. My G.G Grandmother  was lying when she registered my G Grandfathers birth under the fathers name ( they eventually did get married, I found a marriage cert for them 4 years after the census I was looking at) . So you can't always go by what is written on that birth certificate. your grandmother and her mother may be on the census under that maiden name.

Try searching  for your grandmother under the maiden name of the mother "Lilly or Llilian  Barnfather" ( and also misspell that surname too - it looks like a name that could get misspelt on the census) you never know..

Another idea , has your grandmother got a middle name? she may be listed under her middle name - for example one of my relatives his name is David John, On two of the censuses he is listed  under his middle name John and not David. This  happens quite a few times with my family.

Or, perhaps your G grandfather died, and your G grandmother was re-married on the 1901 census, and listed your grandmothers name on the Census under  her new married name for some reason.

Or just resign to the fact they may not be on there,  it can be something as simple as that. I know  that one of my grandmothers who was born in 1900 is not on there. Apparently her father was always moving them about in those days, running from something ( my grandmother told my mum years ago that her father moved her about to avoid the inoculations.. that to me sounds very unlikely, he probably was avoiding debt, or the law for some reason)

There could be a million reasons, very frustrating isn't it with some of these lines. Some of mine I've had no problem with at all, going  back to the 1600 and 1700's so far , but other lines of mine  are a nightmare, they seem as if they don't want to be found

good luck :)

Could this be her misspelt ?  ( north East Yorkshire though, I think where Middlesbrough  is.. I'm not very good with  the geography of England)
 Lillian Brampton  4 Yorkshire Middlesbro Middlesbrough Middlesbrough
\

John Brampton  42 Yorkshire Skelton In Clerelord Middlesbrough Middlesbrough Railway Engine Driver

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 August 04 22:30 BST (UK) »
Here they b Kat  ;D

Seaton Yorkshire

John Brampton 24 b Molecroft Yorks Ordinary Agricultural Labourer
Jane Brampton 24 b Mapleton Yorks
Nellie Brampton 4 b Mapleton Yorks
Lily Brampton 2 b Bransburton Yorks
Charles Brampton 5 months b Wassand Yorks

Cheers Kris

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 August 04 23:01 BST (UK) »
Details gained from Pro for free.  ;D Kat should u require further detail u will need to pay for it at Pro. Sorry this is all the detail I can get without paying for it.
Kris
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk