Author Topic: BULLOCKS of YATESBURY  (Read 5196 times)

Offline ceb83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BULLOCKS of YATESBURY
« on: Tuesday 18 October 05 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Recently registered.
Researching my family tree descending from John BULLOCK b. Yatesbury 1702 and Elizabeth EATWELL b. Yatesbury 1710, married Yatesbury March 30th 1729.
Also, researching Louisa DURHAM b. Bishopstone June 4th 1868.
Anyone with ANY links please get in touch.
Cheers,
Carol
Bullock - Yatesbury, Compton Bassett, Calne, etc. (UK)
Durham/Dereham - Bishopstone, Liddington, Faringdon areas (UK) and Dublin (Eire)
Thompson - Middlesex and London (UK)
Mace - Cheltenham, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire (UK)
Whetham/Whettam/Wettham - Swindon, Portsmouth, Channel Islands (UK)
Smith - Cheltenham, Gloucester (UK)
Smith - Beckington, Westbury (UK)

Offline wendyh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: BULLOCKS of YATESBURY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 06 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,
I also have John Bullock and Elizabeth Eatwell - they're my 5 g grandparents. Their daughter Lydia is my direct line, through her marriage in 1774 to James Ponting in Yatesbury. I'm quite interested in the Eatwell line as I also have another branch in Wiltshire with an Eatwell - unable to link them as yet. Have you anything more on John's line? I had not even found his birth / baptism.
thanks,
Wendy
Wilts - Compton Bassett & surrounding villages - PONTING, PONTIN, HENLY, SKULL, WHALE, HACKER, EATWELL
Dorset - Pentridge, Woodyates, Cobley - SELLWOOD,  SELWOOD,  THICK, BUTLER,  KERLEY, LAWES, MORGAN
Hereford - Ashperton, Aylton, Munsley, Pixley, Putley etc - KINGS, NUTTING, PREECE.
Worcs - Malvern, Bredon etc - KINGS, NUTTING

Offline ceb83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 06 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
Yep, I've a Lydia Bullock marrying a James Ponting at Yatesbury on June 19th 1774. 
Appears that John Bullock and Elizabeth Eatwell had seven children; John, Rachel, Angel, Rose (no info), Jane (no info), Lydia and Samuel.
There was also a Mary Eatwell, daughter of Elizabeth  (probably John's too?) born around the year/year before of their marriage in 1729.  ;)
I have 'somewhere' Elizabeth Eatwell's father's name and a few more details.
Not much on John Bullock. Someone's given me information and document numbers relating to various Bullocks in Yatesbury at John's time which I haven't checked out yet. There's a document dated October 25th 1733 relating to Robert the elder, Judith, Robert the younger and John Bullock. Could be ours??  :-\
There is an Atwell motor museum, at Blackland near Calne, just down the road from Yatesbury. Possibility/probability that Atwell is a corruption of Eatwell?? That's another line that needs checking out......
I'd be very interested to hear from you and from which Ponting son, Simon or John (that's the only two I have listed), you're descended.
Oh, by the way, I've come down Angel's line, I think JB and EE are my 6 g grandparents could be 5. ;D ;D
Will check it out.
As I said, love to hear from you again.
All the best for now,
Carol

Durham/Dereham - Bishopstone, Liddington, Faringdon areas (UK) and Dublin (Eire)

Offline wendyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bullock, Eatwell & Ponting - Yatesbury, via Corsham, into Compton Bassett.
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Thanks for these details - I have that 1710 Elizabeth  Eatwell's parents were Angel & Frances - no births, places or marriages found - their names are from all the childrens baptisms. I have seen somewhere - probably IGI -  that Angel was born 1679 although I have not found anything else about them.

I have their children as Elizabeth 1710, Rachel 1712- 1714, Angel 1715, Gabriel ( also seen as Jabesh) 1717 & Mary 1718.

I have the same children as you have for John Bullock 1702 and Elizabeth (Eatwell) 1710 - I have their marriage as 31 Mar 1729 and the daughter Mary Eatwell as baptised 20 Apr 1729 - 20 days later. I had assumed John was probably the father & although they married , perhaps just before her birth, the Yatesbury church vicar didn't allow her to bear the surname Bullock ? I've seen that happen in other families.

Lydia Bullock 1744  & James Ponting 1747 - I also have only found the two children - I'm descended from John 1778 & his marriage to Rebecca Coller. They had 5 children, including  John 1816 in Corsham who married Hannah Whale (1823) in Compton Bassett - they had 13 children  ??? - my line is from Harriet Ponting 1851 who by 1871 was a nursery maid in Oxfordshire & then married - maybe, marriage not found ! - William Sellwood from Dorset. They moved around the UK quite a bit - he was a coachman, so I assume that's how they met - working together or in houses near each other - & they ended up in Swynnerton, Staffordshire where my Grandad Walter was born. ( William & Hannah had 11 children - then when she died he remarried & had another 6... ::) - glad I didn't follow that birth- rate tradition.....

I have also received a lot of information on other Bullock families & also a family they married into  - named Strange - perhaps we have the same source... John F ?

I haven't seen any information on any Robert or Judith Bullock or a document for 1733 - that sounds interesting - can you give me any more information ?.... thanks.

Interesting about the motor museum with the name Atwell - I have actually seen two men from the family ( descended from Angel 1795) born in Compton Bassett who used the same spelling. One, James Atwell 1847 moved to London & all the census I've seen have the Atwell spelling. I've also seen the name as Eattell, Eatell, Eatwell & Eattwell...

I have quite a lot of information on the Eatwell, Ponting and Bullock lines - I haven't looked at these branches recently so  might need to tidy my notes a little ! Perhaps we could exchange more information?
I'm very new to this site - only found it yesterday!!!  :-[
 How do we exchange emails privately? Perhaps once I've tidied up my notes, we could exchange GEDCOMs.

looking forward to hearing from you again,

Wendy

Wilts - Compton Bassett & surrounding villages - PONTING, PONTIN, HENLY, SKULL, WHALE, HACKER, EATWELL
Dorset - Pentridge, Woodyates, Cobley - SELLWOOD,  SELWOOD,  THICK, BUTLER,  KERLEY, LAWES, MORGAN
Hereford - Ashperton, Aylton, Munsley, Pixley, Putley etc - KINGS, NUTTING, PREECE.

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 April 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
john bullock bapt 31st jan 1730
rachel bullock bapt 1732
angel bullock bapt 27th oct 1734
rose bullock bapt 2nd nov 1736
jane bullock bapt 17th dec 1738
lydia bullock bapt 7th march 1743
samuel bullock bapt 7th june 1747
parents john bullock and elizabeth all baptised at yatesbury

ANGEL BULLOCK MARRIED ANN COLLIMORE 8TH JAN 1759 AT YATESBURY AND HAD THESE CHILDREN ALL BAPTISED IN YATESBURY
thomas bullock bapt 7th april 1759
maria bullock bapt 29th march 1761
josiah bullock bapt 8th april 1764
sybil bullock bapt 28th april 1768
sylas bullock bapt 28th july 1771
angel bullock bapt 18th nov 1782
regards
alli

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline wendyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 April 06 13:13 BST (UK) »
Alli,

Thanks for these baptisms ,
Wendy

Offline ceb83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 June 08 02:35 BST (UK) »
Hi WendyH,

At long, long last I've got around to replying.  :-[ :-[ :-[

These are all the Yatesbury wills held in the Wiltshire & Swindon Archives,
http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/heritage/wills_search.php?community_in=Yatesbury.

The wills of Robert, John and Judith BULLOCK are there.

Haven't got around to ordering copies, yet.

Once again, my sincerest apologies for the very long delay.

Carol

Offline JameeRedman1991

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 November 22 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have registered specifically to give you information I have on Elizabeth Bullock (Eatwell). I have a whoooole time line. Just received today in the mail from my grandmother.