Author Topic: Canadian provost corps  (Read 1608 times)

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Canadian provost corps
« on: Thursday 20 October 05 14:20 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone can help me find any information on my great grandfather JOHN BENJAMIN SELBY who joined the CANADIAN PROVOST CORPS  in montreal around the year 1915-16. He came from england  and was living in canada since 1911-12.
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian provost corps
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 05 15:02 BST (UK) »
As you are probably aware the Canadian Provost Corp is their equivalent of our military police.  Some time ago I entered it as a subject "Canadian Provost Corp" in quotes on Google and found a number of sites.  One of them was a guest book on which people were leaving their family history requests and a hidden email address.  I didn't go beyond the first Google page.

You can also get quite a lot of history of the Corp.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 05 16:49 BST (UK) »
Did he marry a Lucy and live in Smith Mills?  There are two sets of attestation papers for him with two different birthdates and birthplaces!

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gat2/088746a.gif
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gat2/088746b.gif

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gat2/088745a.gif
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gat2/088745b.gif
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 07 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Gosh its been awhile since i looked through my old posts but to answer this old question YES these are the people I am interested in.if anyone can still help, it would be great.
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 07 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if he married Lucy in England or in Canada?  In both the attestation papers his birthdate is listed as 21 Sep, the difference is if his year of birth was 1882 or 1878.  I suspect the first one (which lists him as 1882) is incorrect, and the second is more accurate; I know England relaxed the age requirements as the war went on, and he may have lied about his age to be admitted to the army initially, possibly removed for that or another reason, and then reenlisted in 1917, after the requirements were extended to allow older men to join up.

The question then is where he was born - he suggests Nottingham originally and then Aldershot in 1917.  There's too many John Selbys about to figure out which one he is without a little more info, unfortunately, which is why I ask about the marriage.

On FreeBMD I can see John Benjamin Selby - born Dec 1884 Nottingham, married possibly Sep 1907, one possible spouse Lucy Darby.  The quarter is possible for a Sep 21 birth if he wasn't registered until October for whatever reason (a short delay of a week or two wasn't that uncommon), but the year of course is off (and not in the direction one might expect).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I think you can also search on "C-PRO-C".

My grandfather was in the Provost Corps in the Second World War. 

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters