Author Topic: Crow - Moray, Elgin  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Crow - Moray, Elgin
« on: Thursday 20 October 05 22:47 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on a John Crow.
He married a Janet Fraser in 1826 in Tarbat by Fearn, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland.
They had all their kids in Elgin, Moray, Scotland.
His wife, Janet (Jannet), died in Elgin on 22 Aug 1876.
What I need to know is where did John Crow come from, when he was born and when & where did he die.
I have seemed to hit a very hard wall.
Thanks to anyone that might be able to break my wall!
Scotland
Elgin-Moray : Crow, Fraser, Watson, MacLean
Aharacle-Jura- Argyll : Crow

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Crow - Moray, Elgin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 05 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Crowhunt

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Can you tell us if Janet was a widow when she died in 1876? Her death certificate should tell you. I don't know if you have used the Scotlands People site but they have deaths from 1855 to 1954. Pre 1855 are quite difficult to find.

I looked on the Moray site at  http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp and there are a few entries for the Crow family when you do a people search, including one for Janet which tells you that her headstone is Ec 961. SKS might be able to look at it for you or you could contact the Lands and Parks Officer for the Elgin burial area at - landsandparks@moray.gov.uk - who might be able to tell you who else is buried there. I looked up the abbreviations and Ec means Elgin Cathedral.

It also says that John was with the coastguard in Lossiemouth so you might be able to find his record of service, I found this http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKCoastguards.html which will give you an idea.

Elaine :)

Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 05 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hey!
Thanks for the new ideas and information!
I was wondering what the "EC" meant on the headstone part, but since I just looked her information up this afternoon, I didn't get that far in my search.
Janet was a widow but her death record doesn't state anything about when he died or where. On their son's marriage record (1858) it stated that his father was deceased, but that was all.
I was aware he was part of the Coast Guard but I didn't know how to go about finding information on that.
Thanks again for the tips!
By the way, is your name "Mitchell" from the Moray area? It was my 3 great grandmother's maiden name and she was from Elgin. Just thought I'd ask.
Thanks again!
Scotland

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 October 05 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Crowhunt

Glad I could help even if just a little bit, I know how frustrating it can be when you're getting nowhere. Another thing to try is just a google search (or other search engine) using the surname and place and see what comes up. It's worked for me a few times.

Mitchell was my maiden name and our lot came from Forgue, Glass and possibly Drumblade. I have the same problem as you there in that I can't find the death of my George Mitchell so I have to presume that he died pre1855. Haven't come across any from Elgin yet but it's not impossible, mind you, Mitchell is quite a common name in the North East.  :)

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 05 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.
I figured it might be worth a shot on asking.
I have tried doing search engine searches but what happens is that I get a lot of "crow" the bird or the saying
"as the crow flies".
I used that link you gave me to try to look up his service record BUT they start out at 1858! So I have to try something different.
The other problem is that John may not even be born in Scotland and maybe that is why I can't find him.
Someday, I hope, somebody comes along and says " Hey, that is my 3rd great grandfather and I have information on him!" As far as my research shows, John had 10 living grandchildren by 1873, of course one being my 2nd great grandfather. Grant you not all would of had children or even survived beyond their 20's but at least one other family in this world would be very nice.
Thanks again for reading and replying!
Scotland

Offline susieq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Crowhunt,
Found this for you in 1851 cencus for Elgin, may help narrow your search down a bit!
Crow   Jannet    Head   Wd    48   Housekeeper   Brn Urquart Moray
Crow   William    Son      U      23   Shoemaker      Born Portmahomack ROC
Crow   Agnes      Daug   U       21  Servant            Born Duffus Moray
Crow   George    Son              15   Scholar              B     Speymouth Moray
Crow   Margaret  Daug            13      Scholar          B    Speymouth Moray
Crow   David        Son              8      Scholar            B    Speymouth Moray
Crow   Jannet      Dg                 6    Scholar             b Speymouth Moray
Frazer  William     Nephew       18   Cabinetmaker   B Duffus Moray
Gordon  James     Visitor           22  Joiner               B Duffus Moray.
Happy Hunting ;)
Susan

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 05 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Susan!
  Thank you! Thank you!
This is GREAT!
Yes, this does help me a bit.
I am now down to my 3rd great grandfather being deceased around 1845 or by 1851. The last year I had to go by was 1858. I also see 3 other children to add and a nephew and a new location to research!
Oh, I just noticed that "James" is missing. Hummm......something else to figure out.
This is wonderful! I am very thrilled!
Thank you for your help!
Scotland