Author Topic: What Happened To My Convict?!?  (Read 13979 times)

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
What Happened To My Convict?!?
« on: Sunday 23 October 05 16:29 BST (UK) »
Anyone with any tips on where to look for information about what happened to my gr gr gr granduncle Thomas Albone? He was convicted of attempting to poach and assault in March 1836.  On the 13th May 1836 he was sent to the prison hulk Justitia and then in July he was transported aboard the Lady Nugent to Tasmania.  I am led to believe that at some time after that he married and that there was a family. This is where I hit my problem......where do I go from here?  Any suggestions, help gratefully received.
Donna
ALBONE - Bedfordshire and Medina area, New York State, USA, SAMUELS - Bedfordshire, COTTINGHAM - Huntingdonshire and Leicerstershire, CLAY - Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, ASPITAL - Northamptonshire, SMITH, RATCLIFF - Staffordshire, BERESFORD - Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, WHYLER Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, VINE- Kent and Sussex, BUTLER - Norfolk, GEORGE - Norfolk and Northumberland, JOHNSON in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What Happened To My Convict?!?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 05 21:49 BST (UK) »
The Tasmanian archives contain much information about convicts (and free settlers) in Tas.
http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/

If you cannot find any information in their online data, they do have a research service available. I could not find any detail of your man doing a quick search of the online indexes.

On the AVRI (covers NSW Vic Tas and WA) to late 1800s - there is only one record for an ALBONE  -  Elizabeth, born in NSW 1861, father William. There was nothing for ALLBONE, but many records for ALBON, although not in Tasmania.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 05 22:16 BST (UK) »
You might be lucky and find something on this site too:

http://www.genseek.net/constas.htm

I have found a few things on genseek, relating to a free settler of mine.

Prue

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 05 23:04 BST (UK) »
You may be interested in this site, it is for convicts to Tasmania

http://rootsweb.com/~austashs

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 05 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I didn't come up with anything, but never mind I'll just have to keep looking.

Donna
ALBONE - Bedfordshire and Medina area, New York State, USA, SAMUELS - Bedfordshire, COTTINGHAM - Huntingdonshire and Leicerstershire, CLAY - Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, ASPITAL - Northamptonshire, SMITH, RATCLIFF - Staffordshire, BERESFORD - Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, WHYLER Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, VINE- Kent and Sussex, BUTLER - Norfolk, GEORGE - Norfolk and Northumberland, JOHNSON in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 October 05 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ratty

Could this be your Thomas. 

Thomas ALBON (born: bedfordshire) married Pheobe JUDD nee MANSFIELD (born Essex)  Victoria 1868 ref: 896.

Thomas ALBON died 1872 aged 56 parents: Unknown Ref: 9245

Cheers
Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 October 05 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Genni
Yes could very well be.  Thomas was born around 1812 so with that death date should have been around 60, but the age is not that far out so I reckon it's a definate possibility.
Thanks alot
Donna

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 October 05 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Genni
I was wondering if I could be cheeky and ask where you found the info and if there is any indication of a child?
Donna

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 October 05 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Donna

The information is from the Victorian Indexes.
You can download the image online ($17.50 AUS)
http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA256C7100199CBE/page/Births+Deaths+and+Marriages+Online+Shop-Births+Deaths+and+Marriages+Online+Shop?OpenDocument&1=0-Births+Deaths+and+Marriages+Online+Shop~&2=0-Births+Deaths+and+Marriages+Online+Shop~&3=~#search

Just go to the download page.

George (34) & Phoebe JUDD (26) and children Joseph (4) & Sarah Ann (infant) arrived in Victoria on the 'Royal George' November 1849.

Both Joseph and Sarah Ann marry under the surname ABLON. 

2 children:-
John Thomas born 1860 Footscray Ref: 647  died 3weeks Ref: 396
Alfred William born 1863 Footscray Ref: 2101 died 4monthd Ref: 4140

Emma ALBON born Footscray married in 1873 to John STEWART Ref: 2794. Unfortunately her birth is before registration.
She gives her parents as Thomas ALBON & Phoebe Unknown when she dies in 1914 (aged 62) Footscray Ref: 5584

Alfred william's birth should list all the children born to Thomas & Phoebe.

Cheers
Genni

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan