Author Topic: 1901 Census for Todd  (Read 8855 times)

Offline Miss Poohs

• RootsChat Member
  • Beauty fades, dumb is forever
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census for Todd
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 December 05 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Those name look very familar to all the names I have gathered so far.

This looks quite promising doesn't it? Trying not to get my hopes up here  ::)

How would I go about gathering more info? I'd love to see certs and things.

I have realised that the English records are very different to those here in Scotland, so being the novice I am I'm struggling a bit.

Thank you so much for your help - you really seem to know your way about, how did you get that info so quickly?

Thank you again

Janice.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 December 05 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I think it does look promising as the combination of names Herbert and Ferney together does not strike me as being an overly common one.

If it were me, I would take the plunge and order Herbert's birth certificate (you can do this online - should be Vol 8e Pg 813 but double check this) or perhaps firstly, if you don't have them on the 1901 Census for Scotland, why not post a request for someone with Ancestry access to have a look and see if the family group turn up in England (probably Cumberland).

;D..quick info?..by spending too many nights looking at my own family lines...and nosying at others for a change.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Miss Poohs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 December 05 00:39 GMT (UK) »
That's my week end accounted for now  ;) - I'll have a good rummage around and see what I can find.

;D

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 December 05 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Do let us know how you get on.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 December 05 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Forgot, it is possible to get some basic info for 1901 from national Archives for free.

So:

a John Todd aged 35 born Ireland was in Barrow at 1901
a Susan Todd aged 34 and born Ireland was in Barrow at 1901
as was a Herbert aged 5 mths
haven't checked rest and don't know if above were together but....it does seem likely.

;D

:o...just noticed it gives occupations, he was an Engine Fitter!!!

Census Information Crown Copyright from National Archives.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 December 05 00:59 GMT (UK) »
I really must go to bed now (should have gone two hours ago) or I won't be fit for driving the boys to school in morning  ::)...I really hope this is your lot and that you can take your research back further...best wishes...

scotmum
 :)

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 December 05 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Wow Scotmum Great work. do you want to find mine for me next?  ;)

;D

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 December 05 09:18 GMT (UK) »
 ;D at you, Colette  :P!

I sometimes like a break from my own research and also like a good challenge . Originally looked at this one out of interest because of the surname, as one of my Stewart line married a Todd in Lanarkshire way back, so was having a nosey to see if there was any likelyhood of a link.

Curiosity in not fiding any glimmer of anything in Ireland on a rather unusual name combination, Herbert Fernie (ey), and knowing the poster wasn't having luck in Scotland, made me turn to England (as some of my lines arrived in Scotland from England having originally come from Ireland - and probably even further back went to Ireland from Scotland!).

As you know yourself, helping others is sometimes as interesting  as finding your own - it's all part of the enjoyment of family history (either that or I'm becoming an addict  :o!).

Offline Miss Poohs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 December 05 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I am feeling quite emotional about this - it does look my grandfathers family.

Hebert was father to my mum and her sister until about 1930's then he disappeared. My mum always told me he had died, when infact the poor soul was experiencing mental health problems.

He died in Woodilee Asylum here in Glasgow in 1974.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help.

As I say I'm new to this and I was floundering desparately - as I'm not that familar with the available searches.

I will order the birth cert - I have all the family interested now - so I'd have to, even if I didn't want to  :D, but I do, and I have the feeling it's the right family too.

Thank you doesn't seem enough I am so grateful.

I'll keep you posted as to what the outcome is.

Janice