Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 27859 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »

@Josephine I received the HAS records on a hard drive in 2014 whilst in Hawick, from the then President of the Hawick Archaeological Society.

The files amount to 130 Gigabytes in total size, so they are not easily shared. The intention is that they will someday be available for members in a searchable format, via the Society's  website and available to folk around the globe to access. http://hawickhistory.scot

"A Hawick Word Book" by Professor Douglas Scott is available and downloadable online and that is your best bet for detailed information at this point @Josephine.

Brett

Thanks, Brett.

Are the digitized Transactions a perk of lifetime membership in the Hawick Archaeological Society? If so, where do I sign up?

I contacted the Society several years ago (prior to 2014) and was told about their intentions, but it still hasn't happened and I'm starting to doubt it'll happen in my lifetime. Have they even got a timeline for the launch? I'm shocked to learn that all of the Transactions were already digitized 7 years ago and nothing's been done with them: what a waste of potential income for the Society! At this point, it would probably make more sense financially to make them available for sale on CDs. If and when an index ever gets done and put up on their website, people could use both, or they could purchase the indexes on supplemental CDs.

I am familiar with Douglas Scott's impressive Hawick Word Book and consider it to be a helpful pointer but he doesn't list his sources, so when he writes something like, "A story is told that..." or "He is said to have...," I don't know where he got this information.

Unless Douglas Scott also has copies of all of the digitized Transactions?

The photos are very nice!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi @Josephine,

No the digitised transactions were not perk. They were given to me to assess, as to how they could be best used on the website.

I made a number of suggestions as to what could be done.

These records were essentially OCR scans, and each batch of text has a reference number that also corresponds to the image that the texts were scanned from.

Douglas Scott sources his information from many books and records (including the Transactions).

His Father R.E Scott or Dick Scott, probably knew more about the history of Hawick than anyone else, and he was a prolific collector of books and information on everything to do with the Scottish Borders, but with a focus on Hawick. He was also the Curator of the Wilton Lodge (Hawick Museum) http://www.hawickonline.com/wilton-lodge-park So his passion has apparently flowed down to the next generation of his family.

You can read all about R.E Scott in the Hawick Word Book.

The is a great book by R.E Scott called "Companion to Hawick". See attached. Douglas gave me a copy of it in 2014. You can buy one online if you search for it.

I know that there was some work being done for the Society to make HAS records available online, but I have not really had an update on this matter for a couple of years now.

Brett

@Josephine I received the HAS records on a hard drive in 2014 whilst in Hawick, from the then President of the Hawick Archaeological Society.

The files amount to 130 Gigabytes in total size, so they are not easily shared. The intention is that they will someday be available for members in a searchable format, via the Society's  website and available to folk around the globe to access. http://hawickhistory.scot

"A Hawick Word Book" by Professor Douglas Scott is available and downloadable online and that is your best bet for detailed information at this point @Josephine.

Brett

Thanks, Brett.

Are the digitized Transactions a perk of lifetime membership in the Hawick Archaeological Society? If so, where do I sign up?

I contacted the Society several years ago (prior to 2014) and was told about their intentions, but it still hasn't happened and I'm starting to doubt it'll happen in my lifetime. Have they even got a timeline for the launch? I'm shocked to learn that all of the Transactions were already digitized 7 years ago and nothing's been done with them: what a waste of potential income for the Society! At this point, it would probably make more sense financially to make them available for sale on CDs. If and when an index ever gets done and put up on their website, people could use both, or they could purchase the indexes on supplemental CDs.

I am familiar with Douglas Scott's impressive Hawick Word Book and consider it to be a helpful pointer but he doesn't list his sources, so when he writes something like, "A story is told that..." or "He is said to have...," I don't know where he got this information.

Unless Douglas Scott also has copies of all of the digitized Transactions?

The photos are very nice!

Regards,
Josephine

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Brett. I think I have a better understanding now. I will look for the book you recommended.

Hawick must be a special place, indeed, for it to have inspired so much dedication and loyalty.

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Not a problem @Josephine,

There were also lots of Buccleuch records, Business directories, Tax records and much more.

Some of the tax records were crazy. Dog Tax, Horse Tax, Hearth (Fire Place) Tax, Clock/Watch Tax and even a Windows Tax.

I believe that the Window's Tax (A tax on how many windows a building had), is where the term "Daylight Robbery" came from, as people boarded up their windows to avoid being taxed for them, hence a lack of daylight making its way into a building. Being robbed of daylight..

All of these such records help with ancestry research. And Scottish naming patterns can also help when they are adhered to.

Brett

Offline KellyV

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, my name is Kelly Wilson, my uncle spent over 2 years traveling and tracing our family heritage to discover that we are direct descendants of James Wilson  and George Wilson (first cousins 5-6 down the line apparently)
I myself don't have the financial means to travel around the world to find out more information about my heritage as I live in Australia but would really love to know more. Is there any documentation that would help me trace back my history or any other information you could share to help me? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Kelly Wilson

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I believe that the Window's Tax (A tax on how many windows a building had), is where the term "Daylight Robbery" came from, as people boarded up their windows to avoid being taxed for them, hence a lack of daylight making its way into a building. Being robbed of daylight..

Interesting. I'm familiar with the term "highway robbery" but not "daylight robbery."

Regards,
Josephine

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, my name is Kelly Wilson, my uncle spent over 2 years traveling and tracing our family heritage to discover that we are direct descendants of James Wilson  and George Wilson (first cousins 5-6 down the line apparently)
I myself don't have the financial means to travel around the world to find out more information about my heritage as I live in Australia but would really love to know more. Is there any documentation that would help me trace back my history or any other information you could share to help me? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Kelly Wilson

Hi, Kelly, and welcome to Rootschat.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you. It might be useful to state which James Wilson and George Wilson you're referring to.

Regards,
Josephine

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Thursday 25 February 21 01:03 GMT (UK) »

Interesting. I'm familiar with the term "highway robbery" but not "daylight robbery."

Regards,
Josephine

Attached is a snippet on the term Daylight Robbery. It is an Oxford Dictionary term I believe. So if you are American, it may not be a familiar term @Josephine.

Sir James Augustus Henry Murray, FBA was a Scottish lexicographer and philologist. He was the primary editor of the Oxford English Dictionary from 1879 until his death.

Sir James was also a school teacher in Hawick. In the book, "The Wilson Story" he gets a mention as he taught some of the Wilson's.

Sir James is also played by Mel Gibson in the movie "The Professor and the Madman".

Brett

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Thursday 25 February 21 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your time.

Kelly Wilson

Hi, Kelly, and welcome to Rootschat.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you. It might be useful to state which James Wilson and George Wilson you're referring to.

Regards,
Josephine

Hey Kelly

What are you doing here?

It was more like 9 years of family research (thousands of hours and many many thousands of dollars).

I spent 3 months in Hawick in 2014 pouring over every record I could find, walking past every grave in every cemetery surrounding Hawick.

Just to be on the side of correctness. I think that the James and George that you refer to is James Wilson 1805-1860 and his brother George Wilson 1815-1898. There are many other siblings to them also.

We are not actually direct descendants of James and George, but they are considered our ancestors. James and George were 1st cousins to my GGG Grandfather (Your GGGG Grandfather) Walter Wilson 1798-1862, Cabinet Maker from Hawick.

James and George's grandfather, Walter Wilson 1712-1795 AKA Handless Wat, is my GGGGG Grandfather and your GGGGGG Grandfather ;-)

Hope you are well Kelly (Red Jelly Bean)

Brett