Author Topic: Long shot query  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Swift5

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Long shot query
« on: Thursday 15 January 04 00:27 GMT (UK) »
In Glan Adda cemetery is the grave of my great uncle Richard Williams (of Bangor), his wife Louisa Mary, and two of his children, Gladys Selena aged 16 (died 1911) and David Arthur aged 1 (died 1902).

On the grave is also a stone tablet with the following inscription :-

In loving memory of Edith L Davies
1905- 1976,
Rest in Peace
Also her husband
JOHN DAVIES
1909-1983

This couple don't appear in my family tree (so far), but since they are commemmorated in the same grave as my great uncle they might be previously unknown members of the family.

Does anyone know who they might have been and if there are any living relatives around the area?  Any information would be very welcome!
Don't have one yet.

Offline Maggi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Long shot query
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 January 04 07:08 GMT (UK) »
If you can pin down an actual date of death for either of these people there would probably be an obit.in the local paper.
Regards
Maggi
[www.thefamily-business.co.uk]

Offline Swift5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 January 04 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Maggi.  All that I have so far are the years, which are 1973 for Edith and 1986 for John.
I have established that Edith was my great-uncle's daughter (I found the birth in the St Catherines Index in 1905).

Is there any chance, maybe, that you know which papers might have published an obituary?  There is a Welsh edition of the Liverpool Daily Post, but I think that obits would be more likely to be in a more local paper.  Would you agree?

I've, so far, been unable to find a marriage for Edith and John, but it must be recorded SOMEWHERE.  Blowed if I know where, though!
Don't have one yet.

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 January 04 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The most likely local newspapers would be the North Wales Chronicle or the Bangor & Holyhead Mail. Failing that, and they were Welsh speakers, the Herald Cymraeg might be of use.

As for the marriage, you could try the Superintendent Registrar at Bangor. The address is:

Town Hall
Bangor
Gwynedd
LL57 2RE

Tel 01248 362418

Regards,
Keith.

Offline Swift5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 January 04 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the address Keith.  Do you have one for the Chronicle by any chance?  Will write to enquire about the marriage. spent most of two days last week and today searching with no success.  Wondering if she married twice, but can't find even one for her, unless she used her middle name.
Don't have one yet.

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 January 04 00:19 GMT (UK) »
All the above newspapers are available at the Caernarfon Record Office at Victoria Dock. I should think that copies are also held at the University of Wales, Bangor.

Regards,
Keith.

Carnarvon Traders:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wlsccaer/

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 March 04 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried searching the GRO for the marriage of this couple?

As the deaths were relatively recently you could try posting a message in a local paper requesting any living relatives get in touch

Have you had any luck yet?

Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline Swift5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 March 04 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Gill

No, no luck as yet!   I've been through the GRO marriage records from 1920 to the end of 1950 THREE times, without being able to find a trace of their marriage.   So, I'll be contacting the local paper with a view to asking if I can look through their archives for the years concerned (1973 and 1986), or if they will print a request for help. :)
Don't have one yet.

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 March 04 07:12 GMT (UK) »
They may not have married in England or Wales.... but with the info you have , you can ring the GRO in Southport and ask them to search in 3 year 'blocks'. I have done this with some positive results

I'll think some more and see if I can get any inspiration!

Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales