Author Topic: PAF5 Back Up  (Read 3688 times)

Offline calmar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
PAF5 Back Up
« on: Thursday 26 January 06 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I have just changed my computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP. Before I changed over, I copied my PAF5 tree to floppy disk.

When I try to open it in XP it doesn't recognise the file/programme.

How do I get to open it please? Do I have to download the Gedcom programme or is there a simpler way to do it?  Don't feel like typing in years of searching again.::)

Help for computer novice needed. ;D

Calmar
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Brown, Limerick
Woodruff, Glossop, Dover Kent, Sheffield
Winterbottom, Sheffield
Gledhill, Halifax and Sheffield
Wright, Derbyshire/Sheffield
Swift, Lincolnshire, Sheffield
Poole, Stoke Edith, Hereford
Cowham, Lincolnshire and Sheffield
Ibbotson, Sheffield

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PAF5 Back Up
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 06 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Calmar,
I would think you need to download the software to enable you to read what is on your floppy disc.

Try
http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/lds/PAF5Instructions.jsp?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId-1
When you have downloaded the program. Reboot your Computer before seeing if your records are there.
I think that should work.
                   Patricia
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline calmar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 06 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Patricia,

Will go and have a look at that site and see if I can understand it!! Gedcom frightens me. ::)

Calmar

PS

I have been onto that link and it is the LDS site. It is where you get your PAF5 file.

What I need to know really is how do I get my PAF file on floppy to this programme. I can't seem to see anything that tells me to do this!!! Told you I was a novice.

Calmar
 :)
Brown, Limerick
Winterbottom, Sheffield
Ibbotson, Sheffield

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 06 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Calmar,

I have just changed my computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP.

This means that you have to re-install any programs you were using on your old computer.

Just download PAF and re-install it  :)

When you say you copied your PAF tree to floppy disk, do you mean you exported it as a GEDCOM file ??
If so, all you have to do is to import it into your newly installed PAF.

Hope this helps, but remember, you can always go step-by-step and keep asking here for advice at each step.

Good luck,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline calmar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 06 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

No I just copied it to floppy disc, not as a gedcom. I hoped that it would dowload without creating a gedcom. As I said, downloading programmes I find a little daunting to say the least!!!!

The thing is, I checked it on old computer after i had copied it, and it was there OK. Does it need an Adobe Reader file to read it perhaps??

Thanks for your help.

Calmar
Brown, Limerick
Winterbottom, Sheffield
Ibbotson, Sheffield

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 06 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Calmar

It's a bit like having a Word document on a floppy - you need the Word program installed to be able to read it, then you're fine.

If you install the PAF program, you'll be abel to read your file on floppy wothout a problem

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 06 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking - when you took the copy of your tree, did you copy all the other files as well? There's usually a folder called PAF5 sitting in the same directory as your actual file. It's got all the progam bits in it. Have you got that?

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline calmar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 January 06 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

I can't remember what I did exactly when I copied the PAF5 folder. I think I just asked it to copy to floppy.

I have looked on LDS site and noted that you need Adobe Reader to be able to read it. I have just downloaded that, but it says that the file may have been corrupted by sending via e-mail (which I didn't do) or some other manner.

I will download the PAF5 from LDS again, and try and read it that way, otherwise I may just leave it. Don't feel like typing all that info again. I go back 7 generations on one side. ::)

I also have the full tree on Tribal Pages, but that need a gedcom file to download it too. ???

Many thanks for your interest and comments.

Calmar

Brown, Limerick
Winterbottom, Sheffield
Ibbotson, Sheffield

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 06 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Calmar

DONT GIVE UP!!!!

I suggest that you download PAF5, if you're not sure you've got it on your computer, then INSTEAD OF CLICKING ON YOUR FILE, look for a PAF5.exe file and open that. Then go to File/Open on the menu bar and go and look for your tree file from there.

It's just that, when it's first installed, the links to any files already on your machine haven't been set up. By starting with the PAF program and then opening your file from inside it, you should be back where you were.

Ignore all references to Adobe - you only need that for looking at wordy help stuff, not the program or your tree!

Fingers crossed.

Angela