28 (16.5%)
Would you include the meet as part of your Irish holiday - No
6 (3.5%)
Should the Meet be one day
14 (8.2%)
Should it be Fri. evening to Sun. lunch
25 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Irish Meet Considering 2007  (Read 29294 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Meet Considering 2007
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 16 March 06 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Everyone,

The last post on this subject was two or three weeks ago. This is just a gentle reminder so that you do not nod off and forget about the subject until this time next year. :D

Did anyone attend the International Genealogy Festival 2004 September 30th to October 3rd in Co. Sligo ??? It was a four day event with a comprensive programme of events. I am doing my best to get some details about the event...is it an annual event or was it a one off ??? RootsChat has approximately 30,000 members, there are many genealogical groups and local history groups as well as several Irish based genealogy web sites. Interest in the subject is definitely growing rapidly. It may be aiming too high but if the Sligo event was a one off I feel it is worth while looking at the possibility of another International event 8)  http://www.irelandfestival.com Please watch this space. Tentative approaches are being made to one or two people with excellent media contacts and experience in organising and hosting such events. There are at least twelve months to go but May or June might be an idea. Are there any further developments on smaller meets in Ireland this year ???
UPDATE: I posted a message to the Sligo Heritage and Genealogy Centre asking whether their 2004 Genealogy Festival was a once off or takes place each year. 
This event, the Local and Family History Fair, is organised by the Ulster Historical Foundation. It looks as though it will be an annual event although they may be in a different venue this year as the Ulster Museum is closing in August for two years whilst it has a full refurb. I feel, no matter which venue is settled upon for a RootsChat meet in Ireland, other organisations should be involved.
http://www.communityni.org/index.cfm/section/Events/key/EF83A1C0-1143-D8AC-6BA3B47D81C77896

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 17 March 06 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris, and fellow genealogy addicts.

I would love to attend this 2007 meet but unless my financial situation improves( and who knows,  it may?   :) ) it will be hard for me to make it.

I didn't vote as it would be too speculative.

Its a long journey from British Columbia, and costly.   I was born in Cheshire England but have never been to Ireland and would love to see the counties  my ancestors came from, Leitrim ( Boyle) and Tyrone(Boyle).

The  Tyrone 'Boyles'  probably came from further West , back in the past, as I read they originated in Donegal.

It would be nice to know where my Shaughnessys came from, but on the Manchester Census,  going back quite far  it  always just says 'origin Ireland.'

So,  if I were able to make this trip,  I would love to look around the whole  West and Northwest of Ireland to soak up the feeling of the place.

It seems pretty unlikely I will ever find exactly where my ancestors came from.  I need to access church records and as I have no idea whereabouts in the counties they came from,  its pretty hopeless.

For you lucky people who live closer, I envy you  :). What a wonderful opportunity to meet and maybe solve genealogical puzzles with  like-minded new friends.  Have a lovely time!

Griz
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline tony h

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 17 March 06 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Keep up the good work. I manage to get over to Ireland about twice a year so hope i can match up my visit with proposed meet. I'm over at Easter staying at Duncannon and recharging my spirits. Can't wait

Happy St Patrick's Day

Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gorton Monastery Manchester

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 20 March 06 21:20 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE: 20th March 2006

I posted a message to the Sligo Heritage and Genealogy Centre asking whether their 2004 Genealogy Festival was a once off or takes place each year. 
I received a reply informing me that the event was a once off.

There was an Irish Homecoming Festival in 1992. Events were held, mainly in September, in many towns and villages throughout Ireland. There were a few genealogy events including -
8th - 13th Sept North Down Genealogy Exhibition
11th - 13th Sept First North Mayo Genealogy Festival.
14th - 21st Sept Dun Laoghaire Genealogical Festival
17th - 22nd Sept Kilkenny Genealogical Festival

Here is an event in both Belfast and Dublin, which looks like an annual one http://home.netcom.com/~megrogan

All the Best, Chris

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 25 March 06 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Members Interested in an Irish Meet

Anne Fitzy
Anne (Taid)
Anthony
Audrey
Christopher
Colette (teap78) + a friend
Kathie (plus 3 of her family)
Kim Hannan
Lesanne
Maryderry (Belfast would suit)
Maureen (Beresford) Only if in Belfast
Mary Lett (NiftyFifty47)
Mo
Pam (Vabre) and husband from Australia
Ravenhaie
Runey
Saz
Sharon (Scuttletrap), Andypandy + 2 children
Steve
Sue (Willow2670)
Jane Swan
Ticker (Global Moderator)
Tony H.
Val from Canada (Taggart 009)
Wheeldon

We have 23 possibles in just under a month. Please would those single names at the moment indicate whether any one will be accompanying them. Lots more names are needed so please do your best to tell all your friends and possible new members about the event. Lets see if we can manage to more than double the number of possibles by the end of April.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 25 March 06 12:08 GMT (UK) »
At the moment (as far I can tell) I'll be on my own, but I find other Limerick members I'll drag them up with me.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 25 March 06 12:12 GMT (UK) »
At the moment (as far I can tell) I'll be on my own, but I find other Limerick members I'll drag them up with me.

Sharon

Thanks for the reply Sharon.

Plenty of time to find members from Limerick as the event is still sometime next year. Are you planning a small meet in Limerick this year?

All the best ,

Chris

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 25 March 06 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Are you planning a small meet in Limerick this year?

Not this year Chris, but if more Limerick folk come out of the woodwork I wouldn't say no to organizing it.
I put a poster up in the library ages ago so hopefully some people spotted it and registered, next step will be to leave the fliers by the door. (will get on to that next week)

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 25 March 06 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Are you planning a small meet in Limerick this year?

Not this year Chris, but if more Limerick folk come out of the woodwork I wouldn't say no to organizing it.
I put a poster up in the library ages ago so hopefully some people spotted it and registered, next step will be to leave the fliers by the door. (will get on to that next week)

Sharon

I had better go and purchase a new printer next week.
I cant print anything at moment, Sharon..it refuses to work

Chris