Author Topic: Cheshire Parish Records Marriages only pre 1837  (Read 539726 times)

Offline Tugboat Annie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire Parish Records Marriages only pre 1837
« Reply #1773 on: Saturday 25 April 09 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean,

Will give it a try if I manage to find my way around their site  ;D

Have a good weekend! overcast here in La Rochelle  :(
Jackson/Kent, Sheldwich, Faversham, Whitstable
Sharkey/Dublin
Taylor/Lancs, Manchester, Newton Heath
Child/Kent, Whitstable 
Child/Sussex, Brighton
Pagden, Alfriston

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Is there a William Kent in your database? I'm looking for two possible marriages.

First to Mary before 1736, and the to Ann.  Mary's surname may have been Harwar.

Many thanks

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Is there a William Kent in your database? I'm looking for two possible marriages.

First to Mary before 1736, and the to Ann.  Mary's surname may have been Harwar.

Many thanks

Jayson

Hi Jayson,

Well at last I may have found one for you - but not all good news!  ???

William KENT m Mary ? 19 Nov 1734 at Warmingham - at least you have the church so that you can check it yourself.

Also:
William KENT m Anne WALMSLEY 12 May 1763 at Acton St Mary

and this may be of interest:
William KENT, gent m Joan SALMON 28 Jan 1768 at Nantwich SS Mary & Nicholas by licence

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline joan marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 01:09 BST (UK) »
Are you able to look up a marriage between an Alexander McGee (or Magee) around Stockport about 1825 - first son born was a Charles in 1826  in Stockport - the couple were both Irish.  It may have been in Hyde.

Hope you can help

Joan Marie

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
Are you able to look up a marriage between an Alexander McGee (or Magee) around Stockport about 1825 - first son born was a Charles in 1826  in Stockport - the couple were both Irish.  It may have been in Hyde.

Hope you can help

Joan Marie

Hi Joan Marie and a warm welcome to Rootschat,

I have had a look for this marriage and am unable to find a match for you.  I've checked MacGee, MacGhie, and variants, Magee and variants of McGee.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

Jean

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: Thursday 28 May 09 17:22 BST (UK) »
please could I ask for help with a marriage pre 1798 in Chester.

I have Charles Hibbert b. c1798 married Ann Wilkinson 1824 St Oswalds Chester. Unfortunately I can go no further back with the Hibbert line. Perhaps charles's father married c1796, if there is a marriage in the records around that time it would be super.

Many thanks

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: Sunday 31 May 09 09:21 BST (UK) »
please could I ask for help with a marriage pre 1798 in Chester.

I have Charles Hibbert b. c1798 married Ann Wilkinson 1824 St Oswalds Chester. Unfortunately I can go no further back with the Hibbert line. Perhaps charles's father married c1796, if there is a marriage in the records around that time it would be super.

Many thanks

Hi liverbird09,

I think that it will be very difficult to ascertain Charles's parents without his baptism record.

The only one I can see is from this site:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

Charles HIBBERT baptised 1797 at Plemonstall St Peter - you could contact Cheshire Records office to see if they are able to find details of parents etc. but they may charge as you don't have an exact date - http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recoff/

You could send for a copy of Charles's marriage entry from the parish register - if you have the date and church you will just need to pay for a photocopy - the witnesses may help you.

Have you found Charles on the census to confirm his place of birth?  If not, you could post on the Cheshire Lookup board.

Hope this helps,

Jean

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: Sunday 31 May 09 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Thanks for your help.

I do have a photocopy of charles's marriage lines they married in church by licence. One of the witnesses a John Dunning married into Charles's wife's family the Wilkinsons of Tarporley. The History & Heritage church in Chester houses parish registers on film & they were very helpful.

Unfortunately, as chance would have it, Charles died in 1839 of "affection" of the head, (whatever that means)before the census started, I have his death cert & John Dunning registered the death.

I will try the record office again to ascertain if the licence can throw some light on it.

Appreciate your help and time, many thanks.

Offline albino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: Sunday 31 May 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Wondered if you might be able to find a marriage for Matthew Sykes about 1817 maybe at Bowden. He married Mary?
I think he died July-August 1860 Stockport and I think she may have died 1876 October-December Stockport.