Author Topic: scanning  (Read 13198 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: scanning
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 01:23 GMT (UK) »
While I would like to volunteer to receive large files by email, as a dial up user (under protest!!) this is just not feasible for me.  Getting people to scan at 300dpi or 600 dpi, resizing and posting on the board is the best alternative so everyone gets a shot at the restore and all other rootschatters get to view them as well, as I know a lot of people enjoy seeing the "before" and "after" images.

Scan tut will be posted tonight for restorers evaluation.  I think we are forgetting that the issue here is, we are trying to cater for the person that may have only basic computer knowledge or limited knowledge of scanner usage.    In my opinion,  all we need is step by step basic scanning and resizing instructions that the lay person can follow without having them run for cover!   ;D

Cazza
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 01:34 GMT (UK) »
I agree Cazza...  ... 
Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 01:35 GMT (UK) »
 :-*  Knew I could rely on you!

Cazza
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry ..Just got back online ... wow  I half wish I hadn't brought the subject up lol ;) ;D ... Seriously though ... IT REALLY just needs a well written guide ... if we do that .... people will be able to follow it ... It will probably be sufficient for the majority of our friends out there.   If we make a huge issue out of it , making it seem like rocket science . we will alienate some of the people out there who have got wonderful pics for us to restore ..  Lets get a new guide  posted Cazza and REVIEW it say, in a week.  I f the resulting posts are mostly up to par ..  :-* Result !!!
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 01:46 GMT (UK) »
    In my opinion,  all we need is step by step basic scanning and resizing instructions that the lay person can follow without having them run for cover!   ;D

Cazza

Hurrah ... for common sense ... LETS GO FOR IT FOLKS !
A new guide to scanning for restorations !
 Review it in a week!!

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 01:57 GMT (UK) »
This time I agree with you, this whole issue is becoming bigger than Ben Hur and I fear we will be intimidating people even more.

Let's hear it for the KISS principle!!  As for the well written guide, well, I'll let you decide!  ;D

Cazza

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 03:17 GMT (UK) »
KISS is a good way of doing things.
I think a document on how to scan, resize etc, the size of images to post, blah blah blah - great idea.
Also maybe a list of software that can be used to perform various imaging tasks, and where to find/download the programs.
We can make sure there are links in the Technical Forum, or maybe the RC staff could put links to the documents on the main page, so they don't get lost in other posts.
It all sounds like a great idea.
Best of all on this and other threads it seems the concensus is that nobody wants to spoil the great community we have on RC, only to try and make it better.
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline 01debbie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dear Nan, Sybil Edith Grace Boxall 1909-1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

Ok, I thought I'd chip in with my tuppence worth.  I couldn't do my job without my pc, so I mostly am pretty good at IT & don't laugh, I'm even an online tutor...yes, ok, my boss was desperate for volunteers  ;D ;D ;D

I scan, copy & print, daily.  However, when it comes to dpi, resolution & sizes  ??? ??? ???  I'm ASSUMING that dpi means dots per inch...stop laughing if I got that totally wrong...resolution?  How clear it is??  & image size.  Now I THINK that means digital size  for the image but I bet a lot of people would think physical size.

Just some thoughts from the other point of view  :D

Debbie
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 09:02 GMT (UK) »
               I think that before we go any further it would be wise to reflect on the fact that in this thread we are in fact considering two different outcomes for scanning – and unfortunately they are not really compatible.

First we want a scan that is suitable to display on a computer – irrespective of the scan resolution it will be displayed at 72dpi (for our purpose dpi and ppi are interchangeable), so if we scan at 72dpi or the closest which is 75dpi, the picture will display on a screen at its original size. As we also want this image to upload fast this will be a small file and ideal for such.

Now unfortunately if we want an image suitable for restoration or for printing, then the scan must be a much higher resolution and of course this goes against all of the above.

One solution – although I don’t really know how practical, would be to post a small image along with any relevant information. Then if a second dedicated picture thread were available, a 500mb image could be posted there. As the restoration progresses the restorer could then post small sample images in the original thread and when complete post a full size restoration on the large thread. After the customer has retrieved his finished image the large images could then be deleted still leaving the small thread intact.

NO THIS WONT WORK – but surely something along these lines is what is needed.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol