Author Topic: William Ford - Coldstream Guards, army record  (Read 8615 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
William Ford - Coldstream Guards, army record
« on: Saturday 15 April 06 21:58 BST (UK) »
During a search for my grandfather Thomas Ford a few years ago, I was sent this army record, which isn't my relation.

As it happens, my grandfather turned out to be in the Warwickshire Regt.  I came across this in one of my old files today.  If it is of any use to anyone, I will gladly pass it on.

It is titled Short Service (3 years with colours, 9 years in the Reserve)
He enlisted in 1890, left in 1916.  He started in the Coldstream Guards, became Colour Sergt, then went to Norfolk Regt.  It's hard to make out his position when he left, but it's one up from Ap. Sgt Major.  I think it's Lft Sr Master in 1/5 Bn Norfolk Regt.

I think whoever might be interested will already have this record, but if not, let me know.

Rosemary

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Re: William Ford - Coldstream Guards, army record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 April 06 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have just noticed that amongst your surname interests are Rooney's from Whitehaven.

My 3 x gr grandparents James and Elizabeth Rooney came over from somewhere in Ireland in 1854-56 and settled in Egemont which is just outside of Whitehaven.  He was a "red man" (iron ore miner).

I do appreciate that Rooney is a very common name but do you believe there maybe a connection.

Thank you for your time.

Half Pint
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 06 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Half-pint

There may have been a connection going way back to Ireland, but maybe not so close in Cumberland.

If I was to tell you that on 17 Prospect Row, Cleator there were 3 John Rooneys, all married, 2 with more than 8 children, and mine with 2 children, you will know how popular the name was up here!!

My John Rooney worked as a labourer at the linen factory - which probably became Kangol.  His son - also John Rooney - was an iron ore miner, as were most of the John Rooneys up here at that time!

My mother-in-law was a Rooney before marriage, and is really enjoying me finding out about her family.  Did I notice you have Stephenson in your family tree in Cumberland?  Is Billy included, who was one of the mayors?

Rosemary

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 06 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Many thanks for coming back to me, especially at this time in the morning.

I didn't really think I would be that lucky with the surname being more common than Smith or Jones in the area but I had to give it a go.

If you have a John Rooney in your tree who was a "red man" then it maybe worth you having a look in the museum at Florence mine, near Egremont, there is alot of information regarding his great act of bravery savings several lives which took place c1910.

I don't know whether he is one of mine yet but I do know that quite a few worked in the mine including my gr grandfather Joshua Rooney before he moved down to Leicester.

Yes I have Stephensons in my tree, in fact at the last count, over 400 of them.  Mine all come from around the Ulpha area.  They are linked through my paternal grandparents.

I have alot of dates and places at the moment but haven't had a chance to look into their backgrounds so I will have to take a look at Billy.  The most famous one I have found so far is Issac Bone who was the Town Clerk in Whitehaven!!!!!!!! (he is linked to the Rooney's by marriage).

Take care for now

Half Pint
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 06 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm a bit confused, which isn't unusual!!  Do you mind if I ask where you found John Rooney's name connected to Florence Mine?  Have you actually been there, or was it on a website?  I've searched around, and all I can find is a John Roney who was killed at Haig Pit, Whitehaven.  There was a disaster close to Florence Mine in 1913, still not mentioning John Rooney.  Funnily enough there was a James Ward mentioned there, who could be one of my husband's relations.

I would love to know if it was my John Rooney, he would have been 38 in 1910, and lived in Cleator.

Rosemary

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 April 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary

I have just typed you a nice long email, just type regards Half Pint and my pc rebooted itself.

So will have to start again, it will be with you in a while.

Take care

Half Pint

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 April 06 22:24 BST (UK) »
ok no problem!!

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 06 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary

I hope you are ok, sorry for the delay.

I went up to Cumberland last September, we went to the Florence mine museum just to see what was there.  As I said before both my grandad and gr grandad had worked there along with various relatives and my dad had never seen it.

You don't have to pay to go into the museum only on the guided tour of the mine face which is about £6.

There are booklets etc to buy there as well as mine samples. 

On one of the walls if I remember rightly it is near to the till, there is a framed article about a mning disaster about 1910/20 (sorry I can't remember the exact date) and how a John Rooney had been the hero in saving lifes.  Next to it is the actual newpaper report after the interview and in it gives his address in Cleator.

Just as you go in, on the right hand side wall there is a poem to the "red men", if you can, could you please make a copy of it for me.  Guess who forgot her paper and pen when she was there and it is very moving.

If you are able can I suggest you do the tour of the actual face as it is absolutely mind blowing.  I have no balance, and was terrified all the while I was down there but I wouldn't have missed it for anything.  I have always had respect for miners but having seen it for myself, you can keep your heroes who climb mountains for fun etc, those iron ore miners are absolute heroes.

My grandad came doen to Leicester in 1935 due to there being no work up there but didn't go back down the pits again until 1944.  He said in the coal pits he could very easily do a double shift and only ever one in the iron ore pits, and he was 12 years older.

Their website is good but not brilliant but if you want to have a look it is at:

www.florencemine.co.uk

I hope this helps your search.  He may not be your John Rooney but I think you will learn an awful lot about life at that time.

I am off to Norfolk in the morning and hopefully will talk to you at the weekend.

Take care

Half Pint

PS the lady in my photograph is my gr grandads sister and was born in Egremont before she married a lad from Bigrigg and emigrated to America.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your lovely long e-mail.  Although I only live down the road from it, I've never been to Florence Mine.  It would only take me 20 mins to get there.  I've been to Haig Pit, just last week, as lots of my relatives worked there, but not Florence.  My holidays are at an end now (I work in school) so I'll have to wait until the next hols to go now.  I don't think it's open on Saturdays, but I could be wrong.

I'll definitely make a point of going, and I'll look for all the things you've mentioned.  I don't think your Elizabeth Rooney is one of mine, I seem to have only Catherines, and lots of Johns!!

One of my surname interests is from Norfolk.  My mam's mam was from Lynford, and her family are from all around that area.  Are you going anywhere in particular, or just cruising around?

Thanks again

Rosemary