Author Topic: William Burgess, died 31 May 1823, NYC  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William Burgess, died 31 May 1823, NYC
« on: Monday 22 May 06 23:31 BST (UK) »
I've been trying for ages to trace the brother of my 3x great grandfather - I think that makes him my 4 x great uncle.

He was born in 1789 in the Parish of Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland and at some point emmigrated to the USA. He died in NYC on 31st May 1823 - info from family sources and notice in local newspaper. Apparently he was a 'merchant'. He was unmarried.

My 3 x great had to go over from Scotland to 'sort out his affairs'. He must have left a substantial sum because one siter later bought houses in Castle Douglas, two sibs used it to go to Canada and buy land there and my great used it to move to Wales and stock two large farms.

I've searched through ships passenger lists and the 1820 census for NYC (on Ancestry) but cannot find any trace.

Does anyone know of any other sources that are easily accessible from here (Scotland) or any other way I might be able to find any info on him and his death, estate, etc.

Thanks for any leads

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: William Burgess, died 31 May 1823, NYC
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 02:13 BST (UK) »
You could get a copy of his death record from the archives.  Might give you a clue to place of death. You have the exact date so they can find it in the ledger.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/holdings.shtml

Also get a copy of his will.  There is the folowing person who might be of interest in the New York County, Letters of Administration Index, 1743-1875 (Barber Collection)

Letters of Administration are kept by New York County Surrogate's Court. The index gives you the reference for the Court to find the record. I believe it costs about $50 but worth it if it has a missing piece of data.   You also might be able to get at the LDS.

William Burgess, Intestate
Ann Burgess, Administrator
July 28, 1823 recorded
19-211-0 Liber Page Bond Book

There is a gentleman in the 1820 census but the census only tells you the age range of house hold members by gender. Not occupations.  Census is not detailed until 1850 in the US.

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Nutkin

Thanks ever so for that  :)

A couple of questions:
the nyc site seems to want the certificate number for online ordering of the death cert - how do I get that

I'm in a remote part of UK - no LDS centres. I would dearly love to get hold of the Letters of Admin but how  ???

Thanks ever so

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I'm very interested in the Ann Burgess that you mentioned. I did find a William Burgess of roughly the right age on the 1820 but he was married and my Canadian cousins were adamant that he had died unmarried. I shall dig my stuff out again. Maybe I was right on this all along - he certainly didn't have a sister Ann.

I've also e-mailed a cousin in NJ (the other side) to see if he can get me the letters of admin.

Once more, thank you very much

Gadget

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 01:28 BST (UK) »
YOu don't need to fill in the certificate number if you are mailing an application.  Just as much as you know.

Here is an email for the New York COunty Surrogates COurt where they house the wills in NY.

Records Search & Certifications
recordroom_general@courts.state.ny.us

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks nutkin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 06 15:21 BST (UK) »
Update:

I have now got the following info: -

possible date of immigration
A William Burgess arrived in NYC in 1812, aged 23.Source:   Kenneth Scott, British Aliens in the United States during the War of 1812 

Death
May 31st 1823 Burgess William ; Residence, Cliff St.; Age 36; Place of Nativity, Scotland; Disease, Dropsy; Cemetery, Dutch Middle; Sexton P Amerman; Remarks, A Black

Admin
July 28th 1823  William Burgess, Intestate. Administration granted to Ann Burgess.

So he did marry, despite my Canadian cousins saying he was single. Now to find out when, and who this Ann is and what happened to her.

Could anyone give me advice on early marriages in the States?

THanks

Gadget

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 June 06 15:35 BST (UK) »

First of all Gadget - In spite of the date - is this William the right one ??
Remarks, A Black
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 June 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
yes -we know he died May 1823 and the correct age and origin - Scotland. The A Black apparently appears on quite a few death certs - was a mortician according to my cousin in NJ.

Gadget  ;)