Author Topic: Our Ancestors  (Read 41590 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Our Ancestors
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:09 BST (UK) »
Just one more before I have to go get some new stocks in.
This one was sent over by a cousin in Ontario (photocopy). It's of my Burgess cousins at Christmas 1913. The old man on the right is my  James Burgess's grandson, the others are his children. His wife had died a few years earlier.
Christmas in Bruce County, Ontario, 1913.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
                  Now this one I like. Very rare to so a set up like
this. Very novel and sophisticated.
Tomkin

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:17 BST (UK) »
Bob's Dad was a bit scarey if you let him be - a sweetie if you didn't.  He was 53 when Bob was born, so wasn't a "hands on" father.  He wouldn't talk much about his army service.  In fact it wasn't until we were able to search the London Gazette we were able to find the citations for his MC and MBE, many years after he died in 1975.

He was unfortunate enough to be the age to serve in both WWs, joining up in 1914 and retiring in 1947.

We do have his army record and recently Bob's Mum gave us a big box full of stuff, including his passport, wallet, various letters and papers and even his cigarette case with 3 rollies in it!  A real treasure trove.

I just love everyone's photos and stories, keep them coming!

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:18 BST (UK) »
Gadget - they don't look as though they are enjoying their Christmas Day!  Perhaps they were about to say Grace.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:20 BST (UK) »

That's 'cos they don't have Christmas crackers and the funny hats Ellen !!  ;D ;D ;D
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:25 BST (UK) »
Tomkin....hee hee......so you can stick a Tomkin in the black box

Gadget..............your father looks so funny with his black/coal face and where did all that curly hair come from.......must be the Irish Carsons.
What a fab picture of the Burgess's and so lovely they sent you a copy.I wonder how long they had to sit still...with all the Christmas grub ready to eat...bet their tummies were rumbling.

Ellie...what a wonderful thing to be given,,,yes they never talked much about their war stuff...not surprisingly really.............we have alot to thank them for

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:30 BST (UK) »
Me aged 2 and 3/4 in Weston-super-mare in 1985 ish ish...can feel my nose growing as I speak...........
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:30 BST (UK) »
It might have already been said  :o but this thread started by pentio is just such a wonderful one (and I haven't visited it for a while)  ;D

Basically, it's somewhere to stick in some lovely old photos and memories, have a chat about them (ie sharing photos of our families) - usually the sort of thing which makes conversations go dead within one's own 'not interested in family history' family.

cheers, Pentio  ;D

Clara
(ps hoping to find a few of mine to add to the thread....)
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Gadget - they don't look as though they are enjoying their Christmas Day!  Perhaps they were about to say Grace.

Ellen

Think they were a bit religious, Ellen. Scottish Presbyterian. My lot were much more ummmmmmmmmmm gregarious  ;D ;D ;D

My memories of Christmas are nothing like that. I'm glad I was from my branch and not theirs  :( :( :(

Gadget

That Tomkin's quiet - I wonder if he's doing something unmentionable to my picture  ::) ::) ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***