Author Topic: William "Kid" Hughes - anyone??  (Read 14127 times)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
William "Kid" Hughes - anyone??
« on: Friday 16 June 06 13:15 BST (UK) »
All I know is that he was a Welsh champion boxer in the early thirties/fourties.

He was my grandfather's uncle, and after speaking to his son (who had little info), al lI know is that he was buried in a cemetary near Pontypridd (the town starts Tre....), but I don't have any further info, like when he died, etc, although I'm assuming it to be in the 1970's.

If anyone at all can help, it would be much appreciated.

I know he fought Benny Lynch and Jackie Brown for world titles, but lost if that helps.

Please - I'm at a major dead end here!
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline ore-dragon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William "Kid" Hughes - anyone??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 06 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Halfasheep,

The cemetary in Pontypridd is at Glyntaff, which is over the river from Trefforest.  I am not sure whether Glyntaff would be considered part of Trefforest.

Unfortunately there are quite a few villages near Pontypridd that begin with "Tre".  There is Trelewis, Treherbert and Treharris and probably some others that I am not aware of.

Sorry if this is not much help, but I would try Glyntaff as this is a very large cemetary.  I have been there a few times and the headstones show the names of villages from quite an area around Pontypridd.

The other thing you could try out is to check the local papers.  This is difficult without a date of death, but in this case as William Hughes was a boxing champion and possibly a local celebrity they may be able to help.

Ore Dragon

Offline Joburg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 June 06 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I Googled <William 'Kid' Hughes + boxer> and the first article   mentions him.
There is an email address so maybe that person can help you?

Regards

Joburg
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 06 10:46 BST (UK) »
It seems from googling that some info can be had from

www.johnnyowen.com  he has put together records for Welsh boxers, perhaps he can help you.

He also seems to be know by 'Kid Hughes' and 'Billy Hughes'

hope this helps some

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 June 06 08:11 BST (UK) »
thanks to all who replied - have managed to locate the offending grave this weekend - it was actually Tonyrefail!!

I particularly enjoy the part of this hobby when relatives give you duff info!!

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 June 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Halfasheep,
   Billy 'Kid' Hughes did indeed fight Benny Lynch and Jackie Brown, but not in title fights. He boxed Brown twice - losing on points over 15 rounds in Bridgend (Dec 15 1928) and being stopped in the 11th in Brown's home city of Manchester (22 Sept 1930) - Brown didn't win the world title until 1932, losing it to Lynch in 1935. Billy fought Lynch in Glasgow (29 June 1933) and was stopped in nine rounds.
   After his active ring career was finished, he became a manager, looking after British lightweight champion Ronnie James (who DID challenge for a world title) and Welsh titleholders Syd Worgan and Norman Lewis among others.
In addition he turned his hand to almost every other facet of boxing - as referee, matchmaker, MC and promoter.
   In a letter to the trade paper, Boxing News, on February 17, 1967, he claimed to have had 382 contests, losing only 22, but I'd be wary about taking that as gospel.
   He died in the spring of 1974, at the age of 70.
   Hope this helps put some flesh on the bones, now that you know where the bones are!
   Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 07:48 BST (UK) »
That was fantastic - that has put a bit of meat on the tree now - thank you so much!

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 08:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be a pain Garethboxing, but did you get this info from a book or website, and if either, can you let me know the title/web address??

I've tried all the books on Welsh boxers in the local library, but all I can see is Tommy Farr!!!

Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
White - Kinsale, Cork

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Halfasheep,
    There are a couple of websites with old records on, such as boxrec.com and the one in memory of Johnny Owen which someone told you about in another thread, but both have only his two Welsh title fights. There is a site called prewarboxing.co.uk, but that has not been updated since 2003 and has only a small selection of records. You could try contacting the owner to see if he has Billy's but, as I say, it hasn't changed for years so I doubt he'd receive the message.
    I have one or two other results, but nothing significant. The Lynch and Brown fights I obtained from their records in an old Ring Record Book (the RRB, now defunct used to have full records of all former world champions).
    I have a fair collection of boxing books, but I'm not aware of any that mention Billy, other than possibly in passing as Ronnie James's manager.
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk