Author Topic: Georgie Porgie..kissed the girls &.......!  (Read 10330 times)

Offline Kimberley

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Georgie Porgie..kissed the girls &.......!
« Reply #45 on: Monday 05 November 07 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Kimberley, Obviously the information about probable deaths of Sarah Ann snr & jnr does not help to link William HARRISON (from Yorkshire) to your ROBERTS/HARRISON/HENRY people who had children at the same address around this time (possibly a coincidence, possibly not).

My post re the possible deaths of Sarah Ann snr & jnr was simply tying up a quite minor loose end in response to the following from heywood (who - along with Dave Francis - has been so very helpful on this thread):
However. we think we have William in later censuses- so presumably he leaves Sarah Ann or she dies.

For anyone who is interested, the latest thread (a RootsChat search finds many over many years) on Kimberley's people is at:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,263450.msg1510706

Regards,

JAP

I appreciate your good intentions....however I do not think I require your further commentary on threads or postings.

As I have requested previously, please refrain from your continuator exploits !

I find your continued "echos" quite irritating really and not in anyway helpful.

Perhaps your efforts may be appreciated by others seeking answers and a critique of their search.

Please cease further comments.

Thank you kindly

Offline Kimberley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 27 February 10 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi again!

I think the idea's entirely plausible.  George was illegitimate  - something his mother managed to cover up when he was christened, but not when registering his birth.

He covered it up as well when he married Sarah Ann.  (His father might have been a Thomas or George or who knows, he could even have been William Darlington!)

Following his mother's marriage, George took (or was given) the name Darlington for respectability but used his proper name on marriage and, presumably, thereafter.  And of course his step-father or, possibly, step-brother was one of witnesses.

As regards his occupation, in 1871 George Darlington was a warehouse clerk which might be construed as 'book keeper'.

Fits together quite nicely doesn't it!

You may have found Maria in the Chorlton Union Workhouse already:

1881 Witherington (Chorlton Union Workhouse) Lancashire
RG11/3893 folio 101 page 41
Maria Darlington, pauper, w[idow], 67, cotton reeler [crossed through], Holywell
Can't see her in 1891
May have found her death ! in 1895

26th July 1895at Union Workhouse Withington USD age 81 widow of William DARLINGTON "shoemaker" of Ardwick Manchester.....he stepson William DARLINGTON may have been living at 140 Bank Street Gorton with his family in 1901 !

Offline Kimberley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 01 March 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again!

I think the idea's entirely plausible.  George was illegitimate  - something his mother managed to cover up when he was christened, but not when registering his birth.

He covered it up as well when he married Sarah Ann.  (His father might have been a Thomas or George or who knows, he could even have been William Darlington!)

Following his mother's marriage, George took (or was given) the name Darlington for respectability but used his proper name on marriage and, presumably, thereafter.  And of course his step-father or, possibly, step-brother was one of witnesses.

As regards his occupation, in 1871 George Darlington was a warehouse clerk which might be construed as 'book keeper'.

Fits together quite nicely doesn't it!

You may have found Maria in the Chorlton Union Workhouse already:

1881 Witherington (Chorlton Union Workhouse) Lancashire
RG11/3893 folio 101 page 41
Maria Darlington, pauper, w[idow], 67, cotton reeler [crossed through], Holywell
Can't see her in 1891
Dave
Have found a death for a Maria DARLINGTON 81 widow of William DARLINGTON shoemaker of Ardwick

Death 26 July 1895 Uniun Workhouse Withington USD ?

I think her step son William DARLINGTON was living at 140 New Bank St Gorton in 1901 !