Author Topic: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!  (Read 12328 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: INTERNET Connection problems, Big Time !!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 August 06 22:04 BST (UK) »
At its simplest a router would enable you to share a broadband (or other) connection amongst several computers. Your modem generally plugs into the router (although some are combined routers and modems) and from there to your computer(s). see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router
It is very unlikely that a router would solve your problem, if it is noise on the line then I'm afraid it's down to your supplier (or BT)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 August 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
Falkryn

trying to establish what is the cause is the problem. The noise seems to come when the filters are on and the modem connected and the computer is on. Broadband is not necessarily connected at this stage. If the phone is just in the socket on its own with no further things connected there is no noise!!

I am more than baffled !!

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 August 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
It may still be line noise ...... computer data requires a higher quality of signal going through the line than voice carriage does

Have a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=technical

The noise seems to come when the filters are on and the modem connected and the computer is on.

You may need to try and narrow down when the noise starts .... ie is it there when filters are added, or when modem connected or when modem and computer are connected

Have you had any luck from your provider ?

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 August 06 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Falkryn that's very helpful.

My daughter was home yesterday and told me I should forget all about this problem with modems line faults etc and go "wireless"     easier said than done !!!!. Can any one explain (simply) what this involves.

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 August 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

Out of interest, you seemed to be OK back on the 18th August.  What has happened between then and now?

Has something happened today or have you had a persistent problem since the 18th?

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 31 August 06 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Downside

Here I am again!!

All was going well after the BT engineer came and fixed the line outside then last weekend I noticed the noise had come back as I picked up the phone. Then over the last few days I have been getting disconnected for no reason and the internet goes off (if it is on) when a call comes in or if I lift the receiver to make a call.

Erin 

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 September 06 07:47 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately going wireless would only solve the problem if it occurred somewhere between your modem and computer.

basically you connect a wireless router to your modem which broadcasts a signal to an adaptor  in your computer(s) - it does have advantages (and some major disadvantages) but the flaw here is that you are still relying upon the quality of the line coming into your house

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/a/howtobuildwlan_3.htm

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 September 06 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

I suspect you may be talking about WiFi Broadband that 3G mobile phones and laptops use where they require hotspots to use the service?

You are paying for a landline broadband ADSL connection so all you can do is keep complaining until it is resolved.  They fact that it worked perfectly well for several days would suggest something has happened recently.  Possibly BT have done something out in the street or at the exchange that has altered your line?  Try going further up the chain of command at BT to compalin and see if that yields a better result.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 September 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
[quote .
 - it does have advantages (and some major disadvantages) but the flaw here is that you are still relying upon the quality of the line coming into your house
quote]

Falkryn

This is what I was wondering Thanks for the  info, much appreciated

Erin