Author Topic: Missing COLYER generation help needed.  (Read 5144 times)

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Missing COLYER generation help needed.
« on: Saturday 26 August 06 13:16 BST (UK) »
I have been helped so often by you all, but have also learned that there is much we can do by ourselves. However, this problem I cant solve.
I have a Henry COLYER, who married Catherine MANDY 1776 Ash By Wrotham.
Then we miss a generation completely, coming up with a Henry COLYER b. 1812 Horton Kirby, who married Sarah, unknown maiden name.
How do I fill in that gap? I welcome any help, whether it be showing me how to find it myself, or you have the parish registers to look through.
Thank you all again,
Pauline in Oz
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing COLYER generation help needed.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 August 06 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

Ok, so Henry was born in Horton Kirby and I see, from some of your other posts, that wife Sarah was born in Dartford c1813 and the eldest known child, Sarah COLYER, was born in Farningham c1836.

All these parishes are quite near to each other - see the Dartford registration district map on the following page:

http://www.kent-opc.org.uk/Maps/Registration_Districts/Dartford.jpg

I realise you know that parish registers for some of these towns/villages are on the Medway Cityark site - which ones have you searched for a possible marriage already ???

Do you have the baptism of daughter Sarah c1836?  Often the eldest child was baptised at the same church in which the parents married.  Not always but sometimes :-\

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 06 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,
I have just spent some hours on the Medway site, and found Henry and Catherine's marriage in 1776, but nothing more on the Sts  Peter and Paul Ash until 1813, with two possibles for Henry's grandson's wife - 5th dec. Sarah, to Samuel and Ann Webb, and 8th May Sarah, to William and Elizabeth Corder.(Ash Next Dartford)                                    I went to the parish registers for Farningham, and tried to view them, as I had the others, and all I kept getting was a blank screen with "Scan document" in the top left hand corner. The same thing happened when I tried for Horton Kirby.
So I'm still stuck with my missing generation (that really bugs me!) and no baptism for Sarah b. 1836. Incidentally, she is my g.grandfather's sister.
Well I hope I havent muddied the waters too much Casalguidi, and hope you can suggest something else to try.
Thankyou very much,
Pauline
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 06 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

If it were me, I would concentrate on attempting to find the baptism of the eldest child, Sarah COLYER born about 1836 and supposedly in Farningham and then the marriage of her parents.

I went to the parish registers for Farningham, and tried to view them, as I had the others, and all I kept getting was a blank screen with "Scan document" in the top left hand corner

Could you please explain where you found this as I couldn't see anything for Farningham in the online parish registers ???

Casalguidi

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 06 11:04 BST (UK) »
 :-[     You are quite right. I went back for a look and couldn't find it either!  Guess its a case of exhausted eyes and mind.  Goodness knows now WHAT I was looking at.
I'll do as you said anyway, and try for Sarah's baptism again tomorrow - for now I need my bed!
Thanks for your interest Casalguidi,
Pauline
ps. Have you any idea why I couldn't see so many of the images?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 06 07:20 BST (UK) »
Have you any idea why I couldn't see so many of the images

I'm afraid I don't know unless the site was on the go-slow for some reason :-\

Casalguidi

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 06 23:46 BST (UK) »
OK casalguidi - thanks.   ::)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 01:19 BST (UK) »
COLYER, Sarah   
Christening Date:15 Nov 1835    Farningham, Kent
Father:   Henry COLYER
Mother:   Sarah

The BVRI has coverage of the Horton-Kirby baptismal BTs 1718-1812 and the baptismal parish registers 1813-1876. Nothing found for a Henry Colyer born circa 1812.

Coverage of marriages in Farningham 1814-1865 - nothing for Henry Colyer (nothing on BVRI).

Coverage of Farningham baptismal registers on the BVRI is 1813-1865.

The surname seems far from rare in Kent - there are just under 250 people called Colyer born Kent on the 1851 census and that's before you check for mispellings.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 01:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valda - you are right about the number of Colyer's there are. I followed one branch back to the 1600's, wonderful info, most of the hard work already been done by others - then bought a marriage cert. and discovered it wasn't my Colyer family at all !!
I appreciate you taking the time to look, thank you so much,
Warm regards
Pauline