Author Topic: Anyone require photos taken  (Read 19422 times)

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone require photos taken
« Reply #36 on: Friday 13 October 06 19:30 BST (UK) »
Steve...Saz  :)

Hope you are both well.......i had this afternoon off and as it was a lovely day i decided to go along to Botanic Gardens to have a look for the elusive water fountain..

I went in via the Queens entrance at the river side and had a brief look before i met one of the Gardiners who had worked there for about 16 years.

I told him what i was looking for and he said i would be better speaking to the manager of the Gardens a chap called Reg Maxwell who had worked there for quite a considerable time and that he knew the history of the place better than anyone.

I went to his office which is on the Malone side and he invited me in......after telling him what i was after he told me that a number of years ago there were 3 water fountains in the Gardens and that there was one at the river side near the Queens entrance.........but this is the bad news :( he informed me that around 1978/79 all the water fountains had to be removed from the gardens due to vandalism which was a big problem at that time.

Well at least we know there was a water fountain in the place where your dad said it was.......... just a pity its no longer there.

As i was leaving his office he kindly offered me a book on the history of Botanic Gardens and said that maybe you or your dad would like to have it to make up for your disappointment........if you would like it pm me and i will arrange to have it sent to you.

I find it really sad and so annoying that these mindless idiots just can't leave things alone......

Just to cheer you up i took a few photos of the Rose gardens which i have posted .......they are still in bloom and are really lovely hope you enjoy them.......... the head gardiner said the roses are at their best during June and July.

sorry there wasn't a happy end to this but at least we know it was there at one time.

best wishes and send my regards to your dad.

pentio. :) :)

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 13 October 06 19:40 BST (UK) »
Steve...Saz :)

two more photos of the Rose gardens at Botanic.

speak to you soon

pentio. :) :)

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 13 October 06 23:31 BST (UK) »
Pentio you are a darling!!!

Thank you so much for that.

We would love the book - and I am happy to send you whatever it costs so pm me with details and I will get it in post to you.

Again many, many thanks

Speak soon

saz xxx
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline kingpc1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 13 October 06 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am brand new on this site so apologies if you guys have already seen this  - but is it possible that the Belfast Botanic Gardens fountain you are looking for is this one?

http://www.scottishironwork.org/catdetail.asp?ironid=25697

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 14 October 06 14:25 BST (UK) »
Pentio......... thank you :-*

King

Welcome to roots....and what a start....well done......think you are on the right trail... it might not be "THE " actual one as there seemed to be a few in the gardens but.......it would be so lovely to find out that it was

I am all excited now

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 23 October 06 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Pentio

If your offer is still standing on taking requests for photos, and if possible, photos of cemeteries/crematoriums entrances around the Belfast area.  Hopefully one day I will able to use the photos (with your consent) in my family history research.  Also any photos of  Belfast city buildings and Sailortown/Dockyards which you think would be of interest to people living overseas for family history purposes.

Kanga

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 23 October 06 09:34 BST (UK) »
Kanga

let me know what buildings...cemeteries you would like photos of and i will be happy to oblige.....i know sailortown in the docks area it has changed quite a bit over the years but I'm sure there are places of interest still in the area......one fine example is the Sinclair Seamans church....my own parents were married there in 1948......

speak to you soon.

pentio.

Offline Kanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 09:40 BST (UK) »

Will send you a PM.

Kanga

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 26 October 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve & Saz & Pentio.

I was working near Botanic Gardens today and came across this water Fountain near the river.

This most be the one that Pentio was talking about.

This Fountain was in Memembrance of,

Daniel Joseph Jaffe 1874.

Anthony