Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are (III) #3: Colin Jackson  (Read 23764 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are (III) #3: Colin Jackson
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:08 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed that!  Very nice young man and seemed to be very enthuisiastic about it all. 

I wonder if he will keep up the family history!?

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello

Absolutly brilliant ;D Really captivating and interesting especially him finding his 'Uncle Speedy'!!!

I think the best one of the series so far, and like Keith Sherwood, I also had a perpetual smile on my face :)

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
That was fantastic, absorbing, happy and sad at the end!

Wonderful to meet all the distant families, and the information that Adam Wilson emerged from slavery to own his own land.

Definitely the best so far!

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
Brilliant again - WDYTYA have definitely done their research into what we should have in the programme for this series

Loved the part where he found out about his fathers side being linked to slavery and the original tribes of Jamaica - my friend Dean will love to hear about that as he is from Jamaica and his family are doing the family tree

Couldn't believe how lucky he was with the search for his Grandmother's parents and their parents as well though had a big lump in my throat when he found his Grandmother's grave - unbelievable about exhuming the body if rent isn't paid!!  :o I felt so sorry for Colin's mum and brother and sister when they realised. But as Colin's Uncle said - they are in Panama, a totally different country to us and that is the way they are.

David Tennant next week so let's see if WDYTYA are getting better with each one - no complaints so far

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:22 BST (UK) »
When he was on the computer in panama and he typed in his grandfather's name and oh up popped his details I commented 'huh doesn't happen like that in real life' 

Still needs a bit more realism!!!

But then that wouldn't be interesting to follow the dead ends would it??

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:24 BST (UK) »
Yes - it was an excellent edition - one of the best.  Not quite as moving as Stephen Fry's in the last series.  But masses of info.  It went at a cracking pace, just like Colin went over the hurdles.

It was great that he got to stand in a lot of places - the harrowing discovery that his grandmother's grave had gone has to be offset against the wonderful feeling he had in finding the land his ancestor worked after being freed from slavery.

What next?  Can they top this one?

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
Julian

Of course they can, next week with David Tennant!!! ;D ;D ;D swoon swoon

Kerry

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:28 BST (UK) »
Totally agree, great program.  I just wish the beeb would stop putting people (ie. his mother) in her married name on the tree that they show on screen

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 22:31 BST (UK) »
Have to agree, the best one yet.
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.