Author Topic: 1851/1861 census  (Read 6102 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
1851/1861 census
« on: Saturday 11 November 06 18:23 GMT (UK) »
 I`m looking for Thomas Foulkes b 1833 Mold, (Leeswood, possibly son of Samuel ) married 1860 to Ann (e) Evans b 1839/40  could be Llandyrnog, or Llaneilian yn Rhos , not too sure.  In 1871 I have him married and at Pontblyddyn. Mold.

Any help much appreciated.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/1861 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 06 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello

How did you figure Ann Evans?

There is a Thomas Foulkes marriage to an Ann Davies in Pontblyddyn in 1860. See NorthWales BMD.

You can confirm Thomas's father by obtaining the wedding cerrtificate. I can see where you found Samuel as a possibility in the 1841 census but there is a choice.

The 1861  census is almost certainly missing.

Hope this helps a little.

Peter

Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 06 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I forgot to say welcome to Rootschat. I am sure you will find a few answers but not all as I know myself.

Peter

Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
& more

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 06 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Evans came from some-one else, but as the marriage is at Pontblyddyn I think this is more likely to be Ann Davies, I have easy access to Parish Registers so can check.
So far I only have 1871 census, when Thomas and Ann were at Pontblyddyn. Thomas died later that year.

Samuel`s details came from another person, who has Samuel , born Northop 1808 with wife Mary b 1808. In 1851 they are at Tai Bowen Leeswood, Mold.with a daughter Mary aged 16. and other children. Sarah 14, Robert 12, and three others born after  1843.
  It seems that Edward and Thomas have left home.
I had found in Mold Parish records Thomas b 1833 s/o Samuel and Mary
and Edward b 1831 s/o Samuel and Mary. also Mary  b 1835 d/o the same
I had hoped that Thomas was part of this family, and that earlier census would confirm this.   Are there records for 1851/41 ?? that may help.
Thanks  for your help so far.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 06 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.  Seems you are right with Thomas's parentage

1841 All born in County
Leeswood, Mold, Flintshire
Samuel Foulkes 30 Ag Lab
Mary 30
Elizabeth 11
Edward 9
Thomas 8
Mary 6
Sarah 4 )
Hannah 4) Twins
Robert 2
HO107/1410/9 28/18

However there is another Thomas in Mold
Pontyerwd? Mold, Flintshire
John Foulkes 40 Ag Lab Y
Elizabeth 35 N
Richard 15 N
John 14 N
Thomas 9 N
Elizabeth 6 Y
Mary 5 Y
Ebenezer 3 Y
Sarah 1 Y
HO107/1410/11 17/26

So before continuing I think you do need to confirm his father's name from his marriage.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 November 06 10:17 GMT (UK) »
 All this in less than a day, thank you so much,  a trip to Hawarden is now a must.

Again many thanks.  :)

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 November 06 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I didn't think to mention before but you are dealing with Flintshire and not Denbighshire although the border is not too far away. I am just thinking of any further postings. I will sympathise if the marriage is to Ann Davies as I have one of my family married to the same name and her father is William. Too common a  combination without guesswork.

I am sure your answer for the moment lies with the marriage certificate.

Good hunting

Peter
plus
& more

Offline ajbglos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Foulkes / Evans Flintshire
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 January 07 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I am looking at the Foulkes line in Flintshire, and have only just "discovered" this forum.
Samuel FOULKES married to Mary EVANS is "mine", and I was missing the 1841 census details, so many thanks to Mary A for posting the info (I had their later children, but not the earlier ones)

Can anyone help me with a bit more on these please:

Samuel FOULKES (born July 1808 / baptised Northop, as "Roberts (Foulkes) Samuel" son of Robert FOULKES and Catherine ROBERTS, so his parents were not married and I have no more information to track them back (age / address / occupation / parents / census...???). But he did use his father's name  - was this normal??

Mary EVANS born Bryn y Bal, Mold / christened Argoed May 1808. Married Samuel FOULKES April
1830, Flintshire (presumably Mold area as she was born near there and they set up home in Leeswood?  I have nothing on her parents at all ??

Many thanks

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Foulkes / Evans Flintshire
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 07 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.

I hope Wilcoxon replies and you both get together and exchange some details, that'll be good.

Samuel FOULKES (born July 1808 / baptised Northop, as "Roberts (Foulkes) Samuel" son of Robert FOULKES and Catherine ROBERTS, so his parents were not married and I have no more information to track them back (age / address / occupation / parents / census...???). But he did use his father's name  - was this normal??

I've come across baptisms like this before and I've found that the maiden name of the mother was given and it doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't married.  I hope that's the case in this instance.  No marriage that I see on the IGI but I hope somebody might have access to Parish Registers and discover something for you.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)