Author Topic: SEARLE family in Bishop's Stortford area in 18thC  (Read 15869 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SEARLE family in Bishop's Stortford area in 18thC
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 February 11 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi gensfj,

I'll get back to you regarding the offline contact, I need first to search for a book I have to see if it has mention of a Takeley Searles connection.  The book was entitled from Bardfield to Brooke End and was written by Ken Searles, Ken did a heap of research on the Essex Searles but offhand I can't recall if he covered the Takeley line.

I've personally tracked my Searles line back to the family of William Searles c1680 and his wife Grace Goldstone 1685, with no sign of a Takeley connection but then I haven't followed up ancestor siblings in depth so......

Missing registers are also a great problem with the Essex Searles, many lines (including mine) head back to Great Saling whose registers only go back to about 1713 or thereabouts, same problem with Stebbing.

I'll hunt up the book, I think I know where it is and then get back to you.

Regards. 
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 26 February 11 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi gensfj,

Well I've had a good look at the book I mentioned and found no references to Searles in Takeley, since there are quite a few shown in Takeley transcripts I found that surprising.  Ken Searles was of course in the main following his own line (and mine) plus any offshoots that he found connection to, so perhaps he just didn't find a connection to the Takeley line, personally I would be very surprised if they are not linked to the rest.  He does trace Searles in a lot of Essex parishes, if you imagine a line drawn East to West and passing through Chelmsford with the eastern boundary a line north to south passing through  Braintree, that area would contain all the Searles mentioned in the book.

If you would like to send any of your Essex Searles I would be happy to look through my lot and some spares I have to see if there are any matches, I'll PM my email address to you.

Regards.   
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sim#n1504

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 June 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm a complete newbie but came across this website when looking to find out about Searle Way in BS. many of the Searle side of my family actually lived in Newport Essex - grandfather was born there but as he died in 1926 when my father was 6 and he was bought up by his grandparents and mother in Saffron Walden - she died in 1934 in child birth and my father styed with his grandparents  - Bouch. A lot of the family travelled to Australia some on their own but sometimes at the invitation of the court!

Offline stevecoe1955

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 June 23 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Searle line are from Bishops Stortford.

George Searle born 1816 in BS  to Wm Searle and Sarah Savil.

Wm and Sarah were married in Takeley in 1798.
A son Charles was born in Takeley in 1798,  the rest of the children in BS.

Williams parents were Thomas Searle and Hannah Gilby married in Stansted Mountfitchet and were  in BS from 1779 onwards.

Any connections.
Can send more info on the family lines offline if you are interested. 

We also have 2 Searle relatives in the Searle yDNA project, but no matches yet.
Would love to get some more Essex/Herts Searles in the project to see who is connected or not.

cheers
Frances

I am looking into my Searle family from B.S......I have been DNA tested and I'm interested in any project that helps to untangle this family.....I would like to hear from you..Steve
Ridley, Codling, Scott, from Kirkwhelpington