Author Topic: Smiths of Mitcham in Surrey  (Read 39542 times)

Offline doorwoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smiths of Mitcham in Surrey
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 February 07 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi chellin.

I've PM'd you back.
Sussex; Dadswell, Mew
Cambridgeshire/Huntingdonshire; Childerley, Desborough, Clarke
Surrey; Sayers
Nothamptonshire; Jenks
London; Rowse,Priestley
Hampshire; Cousens
R.O.I; Carroll
Sutherland; McGregor, Forbes, Campbell, Murray
Suffolk; Dawes

Offline missjano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 11 February 07 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.

The alleyway you used to walk down was more than likely Fieldgate Lane. Its actually only a path now unlike its name suggests. This would have came out in to Miles Road.
I'll have to ask my hubbie for the actual name of the pub which stood by Sibthorpe Road, his mates who he plays darts with, often talk about old Mitcham as quite a few of them have deep roots in Mitcham. I know they refer to it as the original blood tub! There is a tiny part of Sibthorpe Road left, just an alleyway now, its the part where Woolworths would have been on the corner of. This is now just offices & the other corner the same, but until recently was the job centre. The rest of what was Sibthorpe Rd would cut across the car park at the back of here, cross Holborn Way & end up being the road in the middle of the 'red flats' that now stand there.

The Rocky you remember is so called because of Rock Terrace Rec, which is the park at the front of the flats at Phipps Bridge. There used to be Bath Rd, Queens Rd etc here along with New Close which is still there.

Hopefully the attachment will come through of a pic of Half Acre Row houses for you to see.

Best of luck with the research!

MODERATOR COMMENT: Image Resized

Hi doorwoman

I remember the Bath Tavern Pub there years ago at Phipps Bridge, but was knocked down, and the photos are great. 
Chellin2 and my husband share a Great Great Grandfather from Mitcham, Josiah Smith, which we found through Roots Com.
My children went to school in Church Road, Mitcham and my husband has lived there all his life. His nan was 3 months old when she lived in Sibthorpe Road in 1901 and then lived near the Bath Tavern. My husband lived near Lavender Fields for many years in Lavender Ave, and went to school in Western Road.

Thanks again for all the info, it has been a great insight to how they lived, and seems to be more real now we have seen pictures.
Smith Kent/Surrey.  Penfold Surrey.  Gardner Surrey.  Lane Berkshire/Surrey.

Offline doorwoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 February 07 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi missjano.

Glad you liked the pic's.
My sister in law used to live in Ottershaw house opposite the Bath Tavern back in the 80's. My husband & I also lived in the new houses they've built called Rock close for a while, then moved to Friday Road, just off Figges Marsh, now we live at Pollards Hill.
Can't seem to stay still!

If there's anything else in particular you'd like a pic of PM me your addy & I'll see if I can find an old pic of it. I've got a fair few of old Mitcham, so should be able to get quite near what you want.

Bye for now
Sussex; Dadswell, Mew
Surrey; Sayers
Nothamptonshire; Jenks
London; Rowse,Priestley
Hampshire; Cousens
R.O.I; Carroll
Suffolk; Dawes

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 February 07 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again doorwoman

Can I ask you where you got all the pics of Mitcham from, if its from a web page is there some history on it too

Thanks
Chellin
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood
Botteriel

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 February 07 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I remember we could walk through from Morden too, through like a park which I think was where Nelson lived.  My grandmother used to live over a corner shop there.

Nelson lived at Merton Place, north of Morden Hall Park where you would have walked. The Park is pretty much unchanged since you (and I!) were young, except the big house is now a restaurant and the kitchen gardens a nursery and plant centre.

And the little old railway that you might remember is now a tramway!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 11 February 07 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes Meles

I do remember the railway and the big house, when we moved to Sutton we used to go to Morden and walk through the park to my Nans house in Rocky.

I am really going through memory lane tonight, the park seemed huge to me when I was a child.  I also got married at St Lawrences Church Morden which was Nelsons church

Thanks for your posting
Chellin
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood
Botteriel

Offline doorwoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 11 February 07 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chellin

My husband has collected quite a few books & postcards showing pics & info from long ago Mitcham when it was a village, not a through road!

The info I have for Half Acre Row the houses were bought by George Pitt, a quaker & shopkeeper, re-conditioned & re-named by him as 'ressurrection Place'

There wasn't much info on Sibthorpe Rd apart from they were levelled in the 1970's & the red flats put in thier place.
Sussex; Dadswell, Mew
Surrey; Sayers
Nothamptonshire; Jenks
London; Rowse,Priestley
Hampshire; Cousens
R.O.I; Carroll
Suffolk; Dawes

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 11 February 07 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh right

Well I came to Australia in 1968 so thats why I didnt know it had gone, what a shame all that history bulldozed.

Have you the names of some of the books I would love to buy them

Chellin
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood
Botteriel

Offline missjano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 11 February 07 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi missjano.

Glad you liked the pic's.
My sister in law used to live in Ottershaw house opposite the Bath Tavern back in the 80's. My husband & I also lived in the new houses they've built called Rock close for a while, then moved to Friday Road, just off Figges Marsh, now we live at Pollards Hill.
Can't seem to stay still!

If there's anything else in particular you'd like a pic of PM me your addy & I'll see if I can find an old pic of it. I've got a fair few of old Mitcham, so should be able to get quite near what you want.

Bye for now

Seems we use to live pretty close to each other at different times. We lived at Pollards Hill in 1980's, and Fleming Mead off Pitcairn Road off Figges Marsh, which gardens back onto Friday Road in the 1990's.

Small World!!!!. My sister in law lived in Sunningdale House in the 1980's.
Smith Kent/Surrey.  Penfold Surrey.  Gardner Surrey.  Lane Berkshire/Surrey.