Author Topic: Graham's of Cumberland  (Read 100729 times)

Offline anywilkinsons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Graham's of Cumberland
« Reply #144 on: Monday 27 February 12 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm not researching Grahams (it all sounds very complicated!) but I have a newspaper clipping dated 1919 from a scrapbook collated by my grandmother (for other names featured in the book, please see thread entitled 'Maryport Families') announcing the death of Mr Twentyman Graham of Hayton Cottages, Station Street, Maryport.
He was a well-known figure and, in his younger days, was a wrestler with his brother, Robinson. He had 5 sons and 4 daughters.
If this Twentyman Graham is one of yours, I'll happily transcribe the cutting and send via PM - let me know!
 :)
HART - Watford, Hertfordshire
WILKINSON - Maryport, Cumberland
HARPER - Wellingborough, Northamptonshire

Offline Razzy

• RootsChat Member
  • ...and so, will someone when I am dead and gone wr
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
 I was not feeling well when I made my entry on John George.
When I saw your reply I went into my certificates and did find John Georges' birth certificate with Thomas and Sarah nee WATSON as his parents registered May 7th, 19878 born April 13th, 1878 in Allerby, sub of Maryport, district of Cockermouth.
Unfortunately I did not keep the GRO paper to confirm it was the same as what you researched for me 10b 592 Cockermouth births Jun 1878 but it is quite possibly the same.
If there is any way of finding what happened to him after arriving in Canada in 1895 at 17 yrs of age, I would like to know.
If I remember right, he was not in thwe 1901 canadian federal census.. The George GRAHAMs in the Yukon on the 1901 census (Klondike Gold Rush) are too vague and family never said any GRAHAM went there. Only that he went to New Zealand or Australia. Did he stay there or did he go elsewhere, return to England, or ??
Razzy
Laure (France);
Graham (Cumberland, England/Grahamsfield, Scotland), Taylor (Orkney);
Rogan, Johnston, McKinney, Irwin, Hamilton (Ireland);
Masters (Wiltshire, England).
Houldsworth (Sheffield, Middlesex)

Offline Razzy

• RootsChat Member
  • ...and so, will someone when I am dead and gone wr
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Twentyman, GRAHAM, does the obituary mention his wife or his parents by name? my Maryport  GRAHAM research only goes to 1862. Twentyman GRAHAM might have moved to Maryport from elsewhere?
Razzy
Laure (France);
Graham (Cumberland, England/Grahamsfield, Scotland), Taylor (Orkney);
Rogan, Johnston, McKinney, Irwin, Hamilton (Ireland);
Masters (Wiltshire, England).
Houldsworth (Sheffield, Middlesex)

Offline anywilkinsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Twentyman GRAHAM (according to the scrapbook) was... 'assistant overseer for the parish of Ellenborough and Ewanrigg... He was a Plumbland native and a founder of the Cumberland Miners' Union...His wife (not named in the piece) had died 6 years previously...Three of his sons were teachers, the eldest a partner in a Hull firm of shipbrokers and the other son was an analytical chemist... The funeral took place in Dearham, conducted by Rev FW Carpenter' - May 1919.
(nothing about parents - sorry!)
HART - Watford, Hertfordshire
WILKINSON - Maryport, Cumberland
HARPER - Wellingborough, Northamptonshire

Offline MyMissyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Sunday 22 April 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching Grahams also believed to be of Netherby although they had moved to Skelton. John was baptised at Skelton Parents Robert Graham and possibly Mary Nelson? 30th May 1744, Father named in the register as Robert Grahame. No mother is named in the register but the Nelson name pops up in later censuses etc with the Grahams.  John married Grace Hutton, formerly Relf 26th May 1781. Grace's first husband was Henry Hutton of Greystoke. She married Henry 1770 at Greystoke and had 2 daughters with him.  Grace and John had 5 daughters,  the one that I am descended from was Margaret born 1786 at Skelton and married John Swinburn of Dacre in 1814. We have a handwritten letter by Margaret's granddaughter Miss Jane Swinburn in which she state that John married Miss Graham a branch of the Grahams of Netherby. Did John's father Robert move from Netherby to Skelton? I have found a record of John's Will dated 1823, the marriages of his three daughters who married, associated Turner, Grindal and Swinburn, Grace and Sarah never married. John's occupation at Skelton was a carpenter and I also have records of his land dealings. He died in 1827 Happy to share information on this family and would appreciate contact with others researching the same family. Dene.

Offline classicgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Climbing Trees!! LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

searching my Richardson line, I have a Mary Richardson b1848 Kirkandrews Upon Esk, Cumberland,(Her parents were John Richardson and Elizabeth Slater) who is supposed to have married into the Graham Family. I do not know his first name though. ???

Does she ring any bells with you all?

Thats all the info I have on her, as I mention, I am doing the Richardson Tree.

Happy Hunting

Carolyn  :)
White - Sheerness,Gillingham,Kent
Richardson - Hawick, Rox
Lunn - Durham, Lincoln
Wilson - Lincoln
Smith - Lincoln

Offline MyMissyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have found a number of Marys but no Mary Richardson.   Sorry that I can be of not much help.
 Dene

Offline nellies girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Sunday 02 September 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if any of this fits in with your family.

1841 census Kirklinton or West Linton / Phillip Graham and Jane (Telford)

1861/ 1871 / 1881/ 1891 census for William Graham and Jane from Thursby, Cumberland and their family all seem to fit with my family.

Hope this helps you. If you have any info that might fit with my family, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks
Nellie's girl

Offline Kleftiwallah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Sunday 02 September 12 19:47 BST (UK) »
Are these the Graham's that had the shop down from the Lonsdale monument in the middle of Penrith?

Also - bit off topic but if anyone comes across anything about the farm Longcleughside in Kirklinton, let me know, I was born in the Farm Cottages there!

Cheers,    Tony.
Oakes - of Camberwell/Lambeth area of London.   Dixon - of Cumbria (then Cumberland) North Western England)